K C
Karen Cohen

2 years ago

Here’s a rookie question for the more experienced — is the cast-on comb meant to be left on the knitting as the piece progresses? I haven’t seen this addressed in the manual booklet, and have heard conflicting opinions on various sites, but does anyone know anything definitive? 

My prior experience with the original Bond frame (pre-Incredible, pre-Ultimate)   was to leave it on and “ roll it upâ€? as knitting progressed (per instructions, as I recall) so that was my first inclination. If it isn’t needed with the LK-150 though... Karen

J G
Joy Green

2 years ago
Hi Karen, I'm knitting a lacy top, hand manipulating the stitches, and I'm not using any weights or cast on comb, it's the 1st thing I've knitted on it, apart from swatches... 😊 I did use the cast on comb to start off with... It seems fine so far 😊 (taking a loooong time though lol) 
20210629_234720.jpg 
S J
Sue Jalowiec

2 years ago
Karen,
I don't think there is  "rule" about this.  It's really personal preference and experience

The purpose of adding any weight to our knitting is to help the stitches form properly.  Without any weight, the stitches on the needles can stick up in the air and the latch can catch on the strand. 

Picture how a stitch is formed.

- You have a stitch on the needle.

- As you knit, the carriage places the working yarn in the hook of the needle.

- At the same time, the needle is pulled back AND the latch closes over the hook. (grabbing the working strand)

- The latch is closed by the stitch on the needle as it's pulled back.

- The needle continues to be pulled back, pulling the working strand through the loop on the needle forming a stitch

- If the existing stitch on the needle is sticking up,(without andy weight) it may not catch (close) the latch and the stitch won't form properly.

Weight helps form the stitches.

Once you get some knitting formed (like Joy's beautiful purpled piece) the weight of the knitting can be just enough to take care of things.

Leaving the LK-150 cast on comb in place or not is really personal preference.

Most of the time on any machine, I leave the comb in place until it hits the floor, then I remove it. Rolling it up seems to be a waste of time to me.  the weight of your knitting should take care of the purpose of the weighted comb.  If you choose, you can always remove the comb , move it up and hang it in the knitting (unless you are working with really delicate yarn)

But, with ribbing I roll up the ribber cast on comb ... Ha!  How's that for a non-answer / mixed message? ðŸ˜‰
Sue

S G
Sandra Graves

2 years ago
I leave mine on until it's close to the floor, then move it up as needed. I use a lot of hanging weights also. Weight is essential to a good weave with an LK-150, at least in my limited experience. 

Sandi
J G
Joy Green

2 years ago
Sue, I must admit I have always used weights and or cast on comb on my Brother machines, but the lk150 seems to work ok without - so far anyway - but I did find a couple of the transferred stitches didn't knit so just gave it a quick tug... 
J G
Joy Green

2 years ago
Sue, I'm just hoping I'll have enough yarn to knit this top lol, I should have weighed the cone, fingers crossed... Joy 😊 
K C
Karen Cohen

2 years ago

Very impressive Joy! 

Sue, I’ve generally done the same with removing the comb as it hits the floor, but always wondered if I was taking a chance of messing up gauge with a difference (however small it might be) in the weight on the knitting.
Thanks everyone for your thoughts! Karen

J G
Joy Green

2 years ago
Hi Karen, I'll let you know if the gauge changes when I've finished the back. Joy 😊
M K
Mary Kint

2 years ago
I always use cast on combs on all my machines…..â€?an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.â€?  Weights are always kept on the outside edges.  As far as keeping the cast on comb on for entirety of the project, it depends on the yarn & on the tension. For lower tensions, it’s on all the time. View how the work is acting for medium  & upward tensions.  Does it look light the weight of the work has some pull on the work (especially in the middle of the bed) & there’s no risk of stitches popping off the needles. 
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC