R A
Renée Adams

2 years ago

Hello,

I am Renée Adams from a small town in the upstate region of New York in the US.  I have the Silver Reed LK 150 mid gauge machine.  I am new to machine knitting and have not knit my first garment yet. I am still working on it. 

I think I need a new sponge bar and I would like your advice on the best type, brand, and where is the best place to purchase it.

Also do you have any experience with the Hague Linker (manual or electronic)?  Is it easy to use?   How do you like how it seams?  Is it a bulky seam?  I would love to hear your thoughts and recommendations.

Would any one of like to be my MK buddie?  I could surely use a friendly, kind, compassionate, warm, and helpful person to help nudge me along.    

I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you.

Renée Adams

S J
Sue Jalowiec

2 years ago
Hi Renée!
Welcome to the world of machine knitting!  You will have lots of fun with your LK-150. It's such a versatile machine, you can do sooo much with it without a lot of fuss.

I highly recommend Spongebar.com for replacement sponges

I'm sorry I have no experience with the Hague Linker, Hopefully someone here can be of help.

One tip for seams that aren't so bulky is to use a finer yarn than your garment yarn for your seams.  Or use fewer plys.  So if you are knitting with a 4 ply yarn, pull a strand apart and work your seam with 2 plys.

Please don't hesitate to post here.  If you have a question, more than likely someone else does too!

Sue

J L
Julie Lyons

2 years ago
Hello, Renee! I have a Hague Electric Linker, D280E. It was quite helpful when I was doing a lot of machine knitting. I don’t use it much anymore. If you should decide you want one, I’d be happy to sell it to you are a good price. Just let me know.

Julie Lyons
M C
Marie-Jo Chaminade-Saintesprit

2 years ago

Welcome Renee!
I have used a Hague linker for years with my first knitting machine, a Passap with a fine gauge which I recently changed for a Brother KH 260. This gauge is not suitable for my linker.
I took great pleasure using my Hague linker. It can be a great help if you are not comfortable with sewing. The greater part of the work is to place the edges of the garment correctly on the machine, so the result is adequate and regular. However, as you pointed out, the sewing
is a bit bulky and, in my opinion, it is not as good as a hand-made invisible seam, which you may already know about.
As far as he sponge bar is concerned, I changed mine for a self-made one. Several sites show you how to proceed.
Enjoy using your LK 150. I hope you'll find everything you want on KIN.
Regards
Marie-Jo
K R
Karin Rogalski

2 years ago
Hi Renee,
I usually sew by hand since it's a bit less bulky that way, but whenever I use very fine yarn my patience would be very tried, so I use the linker instead (can't remember which brand it is, thought).
Another plus: when I attach a sleeve (with a sleeve cap) it's much easier to evenly distribute the stitches on a linker so the fabric doesn't pucker somewhere and stretches in other parts... so yes I'll recommend a linker, even if you don't use it all the time.
I've got brother machines (and I'm German, living quite far away and not a native speaker) so I wouldn't be much of a knitting buddy, but I'll try to help if you have non-machine-specific questions.
Have fun with your machine knitting, it's a wonderful hobby!
Karin
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC