E R
Erica Rowe

1 year ago
I'm Erica from Staunton, Virginia. I got started with machine knitting about five years ago, when I got hooked on circular sock machines. After owning several (I currently own two, with another one on order), I purchased a new in box Bond Ultimate Sweater Machine at a local auction site. I played with that for a few weeks, then stumbled into an SK155, complete with everything but the punch cards. The Bond was fun, but also a bit frustrating, but the SK155, wow. After I replaced the sponge bar and cleaned and oiled the machine, it has knit beautifully. I just made my first punch card for it yesterday, and I'm working on the Sampler Block Blanket Challenge. I intend to do some swatches with the punch card next. I was fortunate to just purchase a complete ribber for the SK155 on eBay. I'm not brave enough (or experienced enough) to try the ribber yet.

I love my sock machines, but I was frustrated with people trying to do flat knitting on the sock machine. I'm also a hand knitter, but I found that large swatches of "plain" knitting bored me. I prefer smaller and more complicated hand knitting projects. I also don't like knitting with linen or cotton much, so I'm hoping that some types of projects that I don't enjoy hand knitting will be great projects for the knitting machines. Blankets and sweaters are my two main goals. I've hand-knit a baby blanket, but never made it through anything larger.

So far, I love this site, and wish someone would do something similar for sock machine knitters (I can dream). The step by step guidance, and all the short, topic specific videos are great for a new machine knitter. I'm looking forward to exploring the pattern library as I get more skilled. Many of my sock machine skills are transferable, but there is so much specific to learn about the machine (all those switches and buttons, yikes!). I just found the forum today, but love that there is a community of machine knitters out there.
J G
Joy Green

1 year ago
Hi Erica
Once you've got used to your machine, add the ribber, and you can knit circular socks (shame we can't knit circular ribbing though - I just knit the ribbing first then transfer it to both beds...)
Joy 😊 
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
Welcome Erica!
Sounds like you are doing great!
I have to laugh ... circular knitters wanting to knit flat .. flat bed knitters wanting to knit circular ... ðŸ˜„

Thank you for the kind words about Knit it Now.  We have some fun things planned ...including more step-by-step practice ... stay tuned!

Sue
S M
Susan Moore

1 year ago
Hi Erica,

I realize you posted this a year ago, but I just had to say that I also started on a CSM for machine knitting. I only have 1 CSM (but want another!) and have gone crazy with knitting machines. Hand knitting was a very slippery slope for me! I started hand knitting 17 years ago, and now I knit, crochet, sew, spin my own yarn, weave, and machine knit. ðŸ˜‚
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC