Z B
Zori Bragg

2 years ago
I've been having fun with my ribber and came across a freebie on Eileen Montgomery's website. I'm seeking help interpreting it. The technique reminds me of Indian Cross Stitch which I've done by hand. 

http://www.eileenmontgomery.com/Freebies/Hints%20%26%20Tips/swirls.html

From the website:
1. knit single bed to where you want to work the lace
2. bring the ribber needles into work opposite the back bed stitches with the outer needles on each side on the back bed, Pitch H
3. knit 1 row on both beds at maximum tension
4.drop the ribber stitches off and pull the fabric down to distribute the yarn
5. on a 1-prong tool, gather four stitches together so four neighbouring needles are empty
6. with the help of another 1-prong tool, hang the loops together on needles 1 and 3 of the group of four leaving needles 2 and 4 empty; pull needles 1 and 3 to hold position, pull needle 2 to hold position over the top of the gathered stitches, pull needle 4 to hold as well
• repeat across the bed

My Questions:
I've tried this a few times and can't quiet get it. 

The technique is described as a double-bed hand-manipulated stitch. Do I cast on full needle rib? Or do I cast on main bed only and bring ribber?

On step 4, drop ribber stitches, I disconnect the ribber from the main bed? 

Any chance there's a video of this? I looked but can't hurt to ask here...

K R
Karin Rogalski

2 years ago
Hi Zori,
the ribber is used solely to elongate the stitches evenly. Mostly the fabric is single bed fabric.
So after you knit that row with both beds, you disconnect the ribber carriage and move it over the ribber bed to drop the ribber stitches; the length of yarn from those stitches can go to the main bed stitches then.
Keep the ribber attached to the machine if you want another of these pattern rows later, but it can be helpful to lower it and use the regular sinker plate instead of the connecting arm for stocking stitch rows (just as long as the ribber is lowered, mind you!).
I hope it helps!
Have fun,
Karin
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC