j d
josephine donohoe

2 years ago
I have completed the back front and sleeves. I have knitted plain stocking stitch but am now stuck at the neckband. The pattern indicates the number of stitches to pick up but then nothing about how to proceed.  Also the number of stitiches left on back shoulder is greater than the number of the front shoulders and I am a bit lost as to how to proceed. Could someone point me to a helpful tutorial class...I am sure it is there already but I have spent ages searching to no avail. I would be happy to do a rolled edge at this point but still need to do the edging for the buttonholes at the back.
Thanks in anticipation.
Josephine
S J
Sue Jalowiec

2 years ago
Hi Josephine,
Neckbands are an art ... not a science.  Everyone has a favorite method of adding bands. 
  • one piece
  • 2 pieces
  • Ribbed or stockinette
  • with and without turning rows
  • You can pick up stitches from the sweater and knit the band.
  • You can knit a band and attach it to the sweater

Lots of methods!

Please take a look at the information in our bands classroom
https://www.knititnow.com/classrooms/193/neck-bands

Looking at your pattern your shoulder stitch count is 24 stitches. I'm sorry, the drawing is a bit confusing, but the yellow markers indicate the neck opening. You will be joining 24 stitches to create the shoulders.

I'll look at updating the drawing and the wording in the pattern to make it more clear
josephine.jpg 

j d
josephine donohoe

2 years ago
Thanks for your prompt and as always super helpful advice.  I have decided to pick up stitches and do a rolled edge. For my pattern how many rows should I do before turning?  Do you think 6 would be sufficient? Again thanks...I have not been able to do much knitting lately and when I got back to the machine I had forgotten the most basic things...it was brilliant to be able to refresh my memory with the beginner tutorials.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

2 years ago
6 rows sounds good for a rolled edge.

Glad I was able to help ðŸ˜ƒ
j d
josephine donohoe

2 years ago
Thanks. I will share my masterpiece when I get it completed!
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC