J G
Joy Green

2 years ago
I made this top a while ago, knit the neckband by hand, and then realised the neck is too wide and too deep.
What could I do or add to this to 'cover' my neck more?
It's a lovely cosy top - alpaca, wool and polyamide, so I really need to do something to the neckline , but don't know what... 
Any ideas? (I don't want to undo any seams.) 
Thank you 😊

20211009_175421.jpg 20211009_175731.jpg
S J
Sue Jalowiec

2 years ago
Hi Joy! 
What a pretty sweater.  But I understand how it a low, wide neckline can be uncomfortable.

The only thing I can think of is to pick up stitches in the round by hand and knit a  funnel/cowl .

Picture a tube coming straight up from the existing neckline - 8-10" or so and letting it flop over.
J G
Joy Green

2 years ago
Thanks Sue, kind of like a polo neck (turtle neck)? 😊 
J B
Jenny M Benson

2 years ago
What I think I would do is work a couple of repeats of what you have already done, reducing the number of stitches by a few each time.  Probably difficult to undo the cast-off, so make a feature of it by picking up the back of the cast-off stitch each time and rib the same number of rows as before and cast off.  Again, pick up stitches from the cast off row and work the rib again.and cast off.  You could do this 2 or 3 times to bring the top edge of the neckline right up to the base of your neck..

(Using a circular needle and knitting by hand, of course.)

Jenny
J G
Joy Green

2 years ago
Hi Jenny, that seems a really good suggestion - I'll have to guess what size needles I used before for the neckband, but as long as they're the same or smaller I think I'll give it a try!
Thank you! 😊 😊
Joy 😊 
I B
Ingrid Blokhus

2 years ago
I would have knitted an another five or ten rows rib. 
E B
Else Blom

2 years ago
I did a single neckband for a child cardigan on the g carriage, but was not happy. I picked up the inner half of the cast off stitches and did one row with the k carriage, then continued with the g carriage one whole number tighter, same  amount of rows and cast off. Then folded the band to the inside and whipstitched it to the garment. It was a bit of a lazy method, but turned out really nice. 
J G
Joy Green

2 years ago
I don't have a g carriage I'm afraid.
Joy
E B
Else Blom

2 years ago
Could you hand manipulate an extra band on the machine? So that it looks like two bands, over lapping each other? 
J G
Joy Green

2 years ago
Yes, someone has suggested something very similar that I'm going to try 😊 thank you.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC