C Q
Cynthia Quill

2 years ago

I just made a swatch. I ammusing my KH881 midsize machine. I am not sure if I should be using my Bulky Brother, 260(?). 

My yarn is:
 Bernat, 10.5 oz/300 g; Light 3; Handknit 10x10cm 22 st with US 6 knitting needles; Baby Sport.

I had to set my carriage dial at the loosest setting when making the swatch, 10.5. 

It is very heavy and difficult to switch out these machines. I am hoping to become more familiar with which machine to get out for each yarn, but I have not been able to use them enough to reach that point, yet. 

Given the information, should I use the bulky, 260? I would hate to,have my husband lug that one out and put this KH881 back, only to have to swap them out again.

Thank you very much.

S J
Sue Jalowiec

2 years ago
Yes, as you've discovered, that yarn is too heavy for your standard machine.

The chart below can help.  
https://www.knititnow.com/tools/yardperpound.cfm

chart.jpg
C Q
Cynthia Quill

2 years ago
So, I should be able to use my Brother KX350 plastic bed mid-size. For some reason I thought this was the right machine for this yarn. I think, "baby yarn" threw me for a loop. I am so confused. I am going to mark the cases, midsize and standard, and some yarn types used for each for reference. If the metal bed ones were not so heavy so as to need help getting them up and down, I would be able to just swap them out easily.  The bulky is obvious. I kind of like this weight yarn, so I will set the plastic bed mid-size and learn on that. I won't be making any pattern stitches or using the punch cards, so this will be good. I wish there was a good standard plastic body. 

Thanks.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC