C Q
Cynthia Quill

2 years ago
Does anyone know if Brother made two versions of the KH-881? Mine has a built in row counter and no accessory section with a lid on the machine itself. The manuals, the one I have and that I have found online, all have the row counter you attach and an accessory section on the machine with a cover. 

It is the KH-881 with the lace carriage and color changer. There is no place for the row counter on the lid, so it is not meant to have a detachable row counter. All the KH-881 literature shows a detachable row counter and accessory section with a lid. The manual says to remove the row counter and put it where it belongs, not in those words. It also shows the accessory section.

My thinking is that they came out with a newer model with a permanent row counter and a bin that is separate for the accessories. I have a beige bin with a hinged lid. 

I never noticed this. I was packing this one up. Yes, I cleaned it. I need the kx-350 plastic bed mid-size gauge one for the yarn I have. So, I am swapping them out and will learn in the kx-350 plastic bed. I thought the kh-881 was going to be the best one to learn on. But, I am not touching patterns and punch cards, yet. And, my yarns will work better with the mid-size gauge. This will be what I use for the near future until I am smoothly doing all the things I need for a simple sweater, that won’t be made for a while, either. I need to get the basics first, now that I am able to use the machine again.

I want to make sure I am correct with the updated version of the KH-881 and they never updated the manual because it is just the row counter and accessories section that changed.

I received this a few years ago from the original owner, who was an avid knitter and yarn spinner. She was going blind and wanted to concentrate on spinning. I mention this so you know this was not just packed up by a deceased person’s kids who knew nothing about machine knitting. She included the color changer and some other items. No, she is not available for help. 
J B
Jenny M Benson

2 years ago
I don't know if there were 2 versions - and doubt it as I'm sure they would have given them different numbers.  But the 881 that I know has a built-in KnitLeader - you didn't mention that your machine has a KnitLeader.  I *think* I am right in saying that Brother produced one manual that covered several different machines, which varied only in the part to do with punchcards.  If that is so, it is quite likely that the "separate row counter" related to other machines which didn't have the built-in KnitLeader.

Jenny 
C Q
Cynthia Quill

2 years ago
I didn't mention everything it has. It is the KH-881, though. 

0B235D81-9EEA-4C0C-9B9F-F563476BC397.jpeg 

4D66678B-1C14-4F51-B9D3-BDB5506D0CF7.jpeg 

I did clean all the yarn lint off. The photo is before I cleaned it.

Thank you for your very prompt reply.
J G
Joy Green

2 years ago
Here's a pic of my row counter for Brother kh881 😊 If you have any other questions please ask and ill help if I can 😊
C Q
Cynthia Quill

2 years ago

I Googled it again. I found an old ebay auction and it has exactly what I have. I also found a manual on how to use the knit-leader. I am not touching that until I learn the basics and the punch card. 

I believe it is just the manual is meant for one than one model, as Jenny mentioned.

C Q
Cynthia Quill

2 years ago
[QUOTE username=Joy Green  Joy Green userid=6929142 postid=1331562189]Here's a pic of my row counter for Brother kh881 😊 If you have any other questions please ask and ill help if I can 😊[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what mine looks like. Thank you.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC