N P
Nicola Pople

2 years ago
Hello everyone, 

I’m half way through the back piece of a hand manipulated fair isle jumper and am going to be away for a week or so. 

Do you think it’ll be ok to leave it on the machine? Should I remove the weights? The yarn is bulky but very light weight . I’m concerned it might develop a whim of it’s own and pop off the needles without extra weight.
Any tips or thoughts would be helpful.

Nicola
S J
Sue Jalowiec

2 years ago
Great question!  I'll bet you'll get different answers from different knitters.

I would remove the weights.  I don't think the stitches will pop off ... I'm more concerned about the stitches being stretched across the needlebed.

Since you are hand manipulating, you might want to knit a plain row (maybe with scrap yarn)  Remove the weights and walk away.

When you come back, rip out that row and continue knitting.
What do you think?
N P
Nicola Pople

2 years ago

Thanks Sue.

Knitting a row of scrap makes perfect sense. I’ll remove the weights and keep my fingers crossed that everything remains undisturbed. 

It’s so good to have someone to ask these silly questions and get some reassurance. You are much appreciated.

S J
Sue Jalowiec

2 years ago

NOT Silly ... I asked the same question when I first started.  As a hand knitter, I knew that leaving my knitting on the needles for any length of time could cause distorted stitches.

I've also had knitters tell me that they cover their needlebed with fabric (or something smooth), then pick up their knitting and fold it over the bed to take any weight off the stitches.  Maybe putting a long piece of knitting on a chair?  Again to take any weight off the stitches.

P H
Patricia Hugghins

2 years ago
I would also put all my needles in hold position to make sure they won't pop off
N P
Nicola Pople

2 years ago

Thank you both 

I have knitted a scrap row, removed weights and pulled all needles right the way out.
feeling pretty confident  that everything will be as I left it on my return. 

KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC