C Q
Cynthia Quill

2 years ago
I am doing the mini Practice Neckline Shaping. 

I am using the LK150

I have knit to RC 37 over my 46 stitches. After knitting RC 37 rows, the CR is on the left. It says to place Left 23-1, and Right 1-8 stitches in hold. I understand that. I have placed the needles in D position. 

Remember the CR is on the left, therefore the yarn is on the left, and is attached to that last stitch on needle number 23 on the left. The very first needle is the first needle in hold on the left side because the left needles were to be placed in Hold, along with 1-8 of the right side. This means the yarn is on the left because it is attached to the left side.

I am to work each shoulder separately and keep the center stitches in hold or on waste yarn. Understood.

RC, 38 at the neck edge, Decrease (bind off) 1 stitch every row 5 times. This means it will not be done via short rowing, from what I understand.

How did I get from RC 37 to RC 38? I can't knit across the stitches in hold because the yarn is way over on the left side and the first stitch that will be knit is the 9th, stitch on the right. That yarn will be dragged across the top and their will be a huge loop, right? The yarn is attached to that last stitch on the left, so even with the Russel Levers set, the yarn will drag across the top of the stitches, or under them, before it starts knitting the 15 end needle on the right.

1474EA64-9962-49EE-8818-81A762612528.jpeg 
This is a photo of the LEFT side. The knitting starts on the right and the needles are in hold before the 9th needle on the right, not seen in the photo. The yarn is attached to that last stitch on the left. When the carriage is moved right for RC38, that yarn will drag across the needles. 

Does the RC 37 mean that before I knit RC 37, that the needles be placed in hold, and then I slide the carriage across and it ticks the RC to 37? I just thought of that. So, after the RC shows 36 I put the stitches in hold, those needles will not be knit with row 37, then start decreasing on the way back to the right to uptick the RC to 38.

Also, how do I manage the Russel levers in this situation? I know I need the Russel levers moved. I will be going back and forth to knit the right shoulder, so do I set both Russel Levers so the other needles that are in hold position will not be affected, from either direction, and only all the working needles will be worked?

I tried watching some other videos but I could not figure it out. I think my issue is understanding which row the RC is referring to. I am thinking that after I do, say RC 36. I do what it says, ie put stitches in hold, then I slide the carriage across, upticking the row counter to 37. The RC 37, does not mean that after the RC says 37, I move the stitches to hold. When the RC shows 37, the stitches should have already been placed in hold. Those stitches in hold stopped at row 36.

If that is the case, when I do the left side, I have to reattach the yarn and work those shoulder rows, not the center neck stitches. I set the row counter to 36, so the first row knitted in the left side shoulder is 37? I also will have the CR on the right so the first row knitted on the left side shoulder is the neck edge, as was the first row knitted in the right side shoulder?

I could muck it up and just knit RC38 and get the yarn and the CR to the right, but then, I won't be following the instructions and it could be something that I will need to know later. 

Thank you.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

2 years ago
Cynthia,
Simply knit another row. 
The pattern is created mathematically, not by a knitter. Just use your judgement ... it's knitting after all.

Sue
C Q
Cynthia Quill

2 years ago
Thanks.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC