C Q
Cynthia Quill

2 years ago
This is the second time I did this.

This is the back. I knitted along the edges about 10 rows with stockinette facing me to tame the curled edge a bit.

81B9BC3D-E0BA-4B8B-B053-081DB52C6320.jpeg 

CFA20F36-945A-4888-B488-6EA1F1533F11.jpeg 

This is the front. I used the life line on the front. Yes, I did need it! Thank you, Sue. 

Neither really came out right. I know a couple things I did wrong, one was a choice on how to decrease on the front, I should have done it it another way because I did not need to wrap the needle the stitch was removed from when knitting through the needle with the two stitches. 

I was going to try short rowing, I I don't think this was intended for short rowing because you would have too many stitches because the rows would have been shortened, but the stitches were still in the needles, and they looked live. I remember doing short rows a long time ago when I was attempting this. I think I used it in a couple kids sweaters I made for my granddaughter, which were handed down to her little sister that came along later. It was fun, but It was not, I think, meant to be used for collar shaping.

I also never come out right with stitch count, I have to alway do a few kore rows of decrease to get what the pattern stitch count says. It is weird because I count my decreases, my stitches and rows (with the counter and a pen and paper) I mark down a mark for each decrease. Each time the records I have match what the pattern says, but the end stitch count is always off. I think this would be a major issue if I was patterning.

I am going to try again. I am thinking that this could make a difference in making a sweater for myself, even though I have no desire to do patterns on the entire front and back. I might do some sections of patterning before the decreasing and increasing for armholes, neck, etc. I really do not see myself trying to do patterning on all of this. 

I do like the way I did the front, bottom photo, I made the front last. I like the lifeline for a couple reasons. 

1. I NEEDED it! LOL

2. I did not have any other stitches on the bed. The other needles that would have been in hold, were just pushed back into non-working position. That made it so much easier. When I put the stitches on the left side back on for that shoulder, I did use the needles on the left that would have been used, so I used the same needle numbers, they were just in non-working position. This was so much easier to work this way. I think with a full size adult sweater, this is the way to go.

So, tomorrow, knee allowing me to, I will go back and do these again and I will hopefully get the right stitch and row counts when I should. I did find it easier the second time. I did have to refer back to some videos because I questioned whether I was supposed to use short rows on the front, the first time I did not even think about using it. When I was searching through videos to try to figure that out, I found the safety line video. I had seen it years ago, but did not know where it was, but happened across it today. I bookmarked it in my KIN folder I created.
J G
Joy Green

2 years ago
Hi Cynthia, did you miss the photo of the back? 🤔
Joy 
J B
Jenny M Benson

2 years ago
You're obviously making good progress, Cynthia!

What I was taught about neck shaping is that one should use short rowing for decreases of 2 or more stitches, but always decrease (I prefer fully-fashioned using the 2- or 3-prong tool) if reducing by 1 stitch on alternate rows or  less frequently.

Jenny
S J
Sue Jalowiec

2 years ago
Cynthia,
It sounds like you are doing great!  I know you are very literal, but when using any patterns, you have to do what works for you.

Personally, I love to short row my necklines and our patterns reflect that.  Other knitters will always use bind offs and decreases.
Neither is right or wrong ... it's personal preference.

Another thing to consider.  Let's say you are off by 1 stitch on your stitch count as you are shaping ... is that really going to impact the shape of your neckline?  The important thing is to end up with the correct number of stitches so your shoulders match.

If you have to knit 1 extra row so the carriage is on the right side for easier bind off, is that really going to make a huge difference?

Maybe this video will help.

https://www.knititnow.com/learn/tutorial/601/neckline-shaping-perfection

Keep up the good work!  
C Q
Cynthia Quill

2 years ago
Hey, Jiy Green, I must have deleted it when I was re-wording what I had, I put the back back into the post. Thanks. 
C Q
Cynthia Quill

2 years ago
Oh I get it! I have watched that video before, many times, but I never got it! Ok. This was my problem. I figured it out, but in case anyone else learning thinks the same thing, this might help. 

When I did the short row, I had all the needles that I decreased with short rowing looking at me with live stitches. That meant instead of ending with 10 needles with live stitches, all the 23 needles I started with still had the live needles. I thought that would give me all the stitches that I just decreased back. I undid all those rows and did it again, with short rows, with the same result. I did it again with just decreases. 

This is what I noticed with the video, this time. 

Yes, the stitches are live, but they are in hold position so when I knit the final rows after I get down to 10 stitches, I think it was 3 rows in the pattern, only those 10 stitches are being knit, not the other 13 needles that were added to the hold position needles. 

Now, I take the carriage to the other side. I do exactly what I did for whichever neckline I just completed. When I am done with the short rowing and I have done the 3 rows after the last short row, carriage would be at the shoulder side, not neck edge, I will put all the needles in working position, maybe disengage the the russel levers in case I missed a needle when putting them back into working position, pick up the needed stitches from the edges of the actual shorted rows, and knit 1 more row, finishing off all those needles I wrapped and knit during short rowing, and those that I picked up from the edge, and making a smooth edge for the finishing of collar, and then scrap off. 

When it is time to do the collar, I will just rehang all those stitches. 

Is that right? 
C Q
Cynthia Quill

2 years ago
Oh, I am going to do this again tomorrow, I am only going to knit 10 rows before starting the short rowing though, This is actually fun.
J G
Joy Green

2 years ago
Hi Cynthia
(Can I please ask why you added the yellow yarn to the back?) 🤔 
Joy 🙂
C Q
Cynthia Quill

2 years ago
Hi, Joy, I knitted along the edges about 10 rows with stockinette facing me to tame the curled edge a bit. That was so that I could see the finished piece better. It was curling too the curl was making it hard for me to see what I did. It is just a practice piece. 

I remembered that you could edge a hem to prevent curl, so I figured if I gathered up stitches on the side and knit them, that would tame the side curl a bit, like the waste yarn does to the beginning. I did not want the side stitching stockinette to curl into the stockinette side of the finished piece, so I did it with the knit side of the piece facing me. 

So, it is just for convenience, nothing to do with the pattern, itself. I just tot tired of holding flat. It made taking the photo easier, too. 

The front was not quite as wild, probably because of the lifeline stitching.
J G
Joy Green

2 years ago
Aah, I did wonder if that was the reason... 🙂
Joy 😊 
C Q
Cynthia Quill

2 years ago
I have redone the front, using short rows. Much better now.

DCE68BA6-5DE3-48F6-9F24-445B771E1870.jpeg 
Looks like I forgot the wrap a couple times, but, all in all, I am pleased. I did not need to refer to how to do it when I did the left side. After I did the right side, it made sense and I remembered. �
S J
Sue Jalowiec

2 years ago
Whoo Hoo!  that's great!
the more you do this the better they will look!  You will find your own tricks and things that work best for you.

I promise it will be come second nature!

Sue
C Q
Cynthia Quill

2 years ago
It was feeling second nature when I started the left side. It is a lot of fun doing this. The right side, left jn the above photo was the first side I shaped. I did get interrupted. I made a note of where I was, but I was out of rhythm and missed a couple wraps,,then I got back in rhythm again. Even with an actual,sweater, I think that could be hidden, so I wouldn't have undone it for those two little goof ups.

Your site is wonderful and your videos and learning tools are fantastic. Thank you, Sue. 
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC