J B
Jenny M Benson

2 years ago
Having just read Sue's Blog entry about Ravel Cord I thought I'd mention another use for it.  In the Blog Sue mentions Cast On Rags and this is my method for making them.

Basically, you make a hem with a (reversed) Ravel Cord turning row.  Using any yarn (medium weight for your machine), make an open cast on over perhaps 50, 100 or 200 needles and knit for about 1".  Turn the work on the needles and knit 1 row with Ravel Cord of a contrasting colour.  Turn the work on the needles again and knit another 1".  Pick up the first row of knitting (2 stitches on every needle) and cast off.

The 1 row of Ravel Cord makes a row of stitches which are very easy to see and very easy to pick up.  Because it's Ravel Cord the pick-up row is smooth and strong and the Cast on Rag will last for AGES.  I like to have a few of different lengths and have made them for my Standard and Mid-Gauge machines.

Jenny
S J
Sue Jalowiec

2 years ago
OMG!  THANK YOU Jenny!

What a great idea!  May I share it and add it to the blog post?

Caston rags are my favorite!  So useful and and timesavers.

Sue
S J
Sue Jalowiec

2 years ago
thinking more about Jenny's suggestion, I remembered a MK demonstrator years ago selling cast on rags using something like Bridal button loop tape.

I'm thinking any lace trim might work as well

bridal.jpg 
J B
Jenny M Benson

2 years ago
Certainly you may add it to the Blog, Sue, but it wasn't my original idea, just something I have gleaned along the way.

Jenny
C Q
Cynthia Quill

2 years ago
I have a question because I am confused. When you knit the ravel cord and fold to make a hem, the ravel cord stitches will match up one to one with the needles. You then just attach that, for however needles you are using, and that takes care of the cast on rag/ravel part  starting the project? You can then just e-wrap and begin? You won't be able to pull the ravel cord out, will you? Or do you knit a row of ravel cord and then e-wrap, just like you would after knitting the cast on rag? Then you would just pull out that ravel cord you just knit and the rag with the ravel cord will be used again. 

I am just trying to picture what was just said. 
S J
Sue Jalowiec

2 years ago
Whatever cast on rag method you use, knitted, crochet or even using an old swatch, you need to knit a row of ravel cord before doing anything else.

Once the rag and ravel cord are in place, you can work a closed cast on or just start knitting for an open cast on.

this video should help you visualize this.
https://www.knititnow.com/learn/tutorial/200/creating-a-cast-on-rag
C Q
Cynthia Quill

2 years ago
Thank you both. I think I will make some cast on rags to use after I finish my current project. Then I won't have to keep making them.

I am taking a break right now to clear my mind before I start the neckline shaping for the front. The back is done already, wasn't much shaping to that. I need a clear mind to continue.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC