J G
Joy Green

2 years ago
I have just found Knitcompanion software, and I think it will be very useful as I won't have a printer for the next few months as going 'mobile' (using our motorhome (RV), boat, and then driving down to France once our French house goes through)
You can import (knititnow) pdfs, highlight areas, add a row counter, add notes in a speech bubble etc etc.
It is very useful for hand knitting patterns, which it was probably made for originally.
It can also be linked to your Ravelry patterns. 
I'm sure many of you already know about it and use it, but I have only just found it so many won't know about it.
There is a free trial, but it is only, I believe, £8.99 for the year 😊😊
I'm glad I've found it!!
Does anyone already use it, and do you have any hints and tips?  Screenshot_20220213-111026_knitCompanion.jpg
P H
Patricia Hugghins

2 years ago
I have used it for hand knit stuff, but right now our business has picked up and I'm really getting into DAK more. It was handy for a sweater I was doing by hand when I wanted to learn to use it. Like most software there is a learning curve and right now my energies are on DAK and doing my bookkeeping for the office
P H
Patricia Hugghins

2 years ago
Also I liked the feature of using patterns from dropbox
J G
Joy Green

2 years ago
I don't have DAK and will find this useful for using knititnow pdfs as we won't have a working printer for a few months...  😊 
M W
Morag Walker

2 years ago
I just wondered how this program worked & if it ok for beginners to use?
J B
Jenny M Benson

2 years ago
If you visit the website - www.knitcompanion.com - you will find there are video tutorials which are a good introduction to the app.  As with many useful things, there is quite a lot to learn so don't expect to download it and start using it to the full immediately.   I don't think it makes much difference whether you are an experienced knitter or a beginner, except that if you are still learning your machine you might not want to be distracted by having to learn to use the app at the same time.

Jenny
J G
Joy Green

2 years ago
Yes, download the free version and see how you get on. 😊
S M
Susan McBean

2 years ago
Hi ! I have been using it for several years and just graduated to the paid version last summer...for hand knits !  How did you get your KIN patterns in there? did you have to download to Dropbox first?  I have android so we don't get all the perks that people with apple get...I can add notes to the bottom...but don't think I can put bubbles in...but they are doing a large Android upgrade this summer, so maybe there is hope ! Susan
J G
Joy Green

2 years ago
Hi Susan
I only have android too, I saved / downloaded knititnow pdf onto my phone and opened it with knitcompanion, then saved it in the software. 
You should be able to add bubbles...
I'm hand knitting socks in the evenings and it's great.
I haven't opened it on a desktop... I don't know if it is any different?
Joy 😊
Why should iphones etc have all the fun lol... 
S M
Susan McBean

2 years ago
Thanks Joy! I  did realize after I sent that, that I had indeed added a bubble to a scarf I am hand knitting!
 The project has taken me so long because I'm so slow that I've actually forgotten. I use my Galaxy tablet As it's quite a bit bigger than my Samsung phone. I can't wait to give that a whirl with the KIN patterns.  And I can't wait for the android upgrade because I really don't want to add an iPhone into my collection. Though they do have better apps available for fabric and pattern stashes!
Cheers, Susan
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC