S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
You are knitting a pullover sweater and shaping the neckline.

1. Would a chart like this be helpful?
2. Should we provide both a left and right chart?

shaping.jpg 

(with the numbers displayed correctly, of course) 
shaping1.jpg 
J G
Joy Green

1 year ago
I personally probably wouldn't use it, but it may help others... 😊 
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago

Thanks Joy ... you'll have to click a button to see it so it doesn't add a lot visually to the pattern.
C Q
Cynthia Quill

1 year ago
It would definitely help me. Also, doing both sides. When learning, at least for me, I really need both sides. It is confusing to remember to switch ends when doing it. 

Right now I am rewriting my instructions.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
Thanks Cynthia!
Stay tuned!  ðŸ˜Š
J B
Jenny M Benson

1 year ago
Personally, I much prefer charts to written instructions.  I think the examples you give are very clear.  I wouldn't have thought it necessary to provide charts for both sides.

Jenny
C N
Carol Nykolyn

1 year ago
I like the visual chart approach. While I use written instructions, I tend to draw a chart to make sure I understand what the written instructions are telling me to do. It also helps me to keep track of where I am.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
Thanks, Carol!
I agree that I often will draw out a shape on graph paper so it's more clear.  Also, as an experienced knitter, I will often fudge the shaping instructions a bit.

In this example, the math is correct, but I might choose to alter some of the shaping. Having the chart would make it easier to visualize

We're still working on this, but it looks like we will be including this type of chart for neckline/shoulder shaping and sleeve caps.
I don' think it's necessary for sleeve or body shaping.

sleeve.jpg 
C Q
Cynthia Quill

1 year ago
I look at the graph, I look at charts and read the written. I then rewrite to suit me. I use them all. If these different views of the instructions were not available, I think it would be harder. Having all views, if not too much work, would suit just about everyone, even if they don't use them all. They could just look at what works for them. Sometimes, something seems a little confusing when written, and I look at how those rows are "Described" in a graph and chart. Other times, the chart is confusing and I look at the text graph.

I don't think I am the only beginner. I think more advanced machine knitters don't need all these views, but, it really helps beginners because we all understand and learn differently.
A B
Audrey Bramel

1 year ago
I like the idea of having several ways to view the pieces. I like charts but I love your written instructions. Very detailed without being fussy.
H R
Hope Ryan

1 year ago
Yes, please!
I love charts because I helps me translate the written instructions and visualize the end result.
M C
Marie-Jo Chaminade-Saintesprit

1 year ago
Yes please, Sue!
I completely agree with Ryan, Cynthia and other knitters 🙂. Both left and right chart would help me so much..
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago

We've been getting great feedback on the patterns - thank you!
I'm not sure how this is all going to end up.  It's a challenge to make the patterns useful for all levels of knitters.

Stay tuned!😄

T B
Tina Brauckmann

1 year ago
Hei. I relly love the tbell,  where you clearly can see ll the things going on at the same time.like neckline and armholeshaping.
I still struggle with reading (other) machineknitting patterns,  and here your written instructions are relly clear nd esy to follow.
The new charts would be great when i am stuck. And they would give me a chance to print out and mark handmanipulation/ cables,  etc,   ,  skift in pattern or colour,  trace it all in one place.  I personally don,'t need both sides,  but i really understand,  that helps many newbeginners.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago

@Bettina Brauckmann

would the ability to print knitters graph paper at your gauge be helpful ... from right inside the pattern?

D J
Darlene Jarvis

1 year ago
being able to print from inside pattern would be great, I really like a piece of paper to work from versus computer, but I love the way the computer does all the math for me.  
C S
Cherie Smiley

1 year ago
Yes Sue, I think it would be great to have the option of adding the graph paper.  I see it as opening a number of future options for creating design features.  As Bettina mentioned, it would be easier for those who add hand manipulated stitches, maybe intarsia, and I was also wondering about creating panels and/or off-set openings.  There could be times when a non-centered opening or yoke could be easily figured out with a visual graph.
E W
Elizabeth Winfield

1 year ago
I would love this since this is what I draw from the directions.  I need to see the visual to know what I am supposed to be doing. 
M F
Maureen Fenn

1 year ago
Long answer:
Sue, you said "it's a challenge to make the patterns useful for all levels of knitters," which is underestimating either you yourself or your tech team who look after the website. One of the things this website does particularly --  probably uniquely  -  well is making things useful for all types of learning style. Even more so with this new approach.

Difference in learning styles was all the rage in UK education a few years ago (pity the poor teachers trying to teach quadratic equations kinesthetically). Eventually, schools came to realise that everyone has a mixture of different ways of reaching full understanding, so your being so flexible, with alternative approaches, is so, so useful. For example, I usually
watch the video first, but for some techniques I speed read the transcript, then try a diagram, then try on the machine, then double back to watch the video properly!

So, yes, I think this is a good idea. The one thing I don't quite see is about how you get the charts onto knitting graph paper  -  couldn't they just be on knitting paper from the start? Or is this to accommodate tuck, for example, which isn't 4-3  paper?

Short answer:
Yes please!
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
Hi Maureen,

Thank you for your comments.

I'm sorry, I 'm not sure  I  understand what you are asking. 

Are you asking for an outline of the entire piece on graph paper?  Right now we only show the shaping areas that can give knitters trouble.

Right now, Only our "updated" patterns have this feature.  (Look for the purple "updated" indicator) The charts are created programmatically, "on-the-fly" for each pattern at the gauge entered.

updated.jpg 

To keep the patterns "clean" If they choose to use the charts, the knitter needs to click one of the buttons to see them/.

chart.jpg     
H R
Hope Ryan

1 year ago
I'm following up on today's shaping survey...
I was doing the Raglan Mango Cardigan for my grand daughter and the "method 2" row by row Left - Center - Right instructions saved the day!  I would have been lost without it.  The sweater turned out great (I shared a photo). 

I read the instructions, look at the chart so I know the plan and then follow the Left - Center - Right instructions row by row.
T B
Tina Brauckmann

1 year ago
The row by row instruction is great, and easy to follow,  with the chart it wil be perfect. The chart gives a better visual aproach,  especially if i loose track and wonder where i am in the pattern. The row by row tabell is easy to read,  together they are perfect.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC