C J
Clarissa Joseph

2 years ago
I have an LK_150 and I did a swatch but don't understand how to figure it for inches, i.e., my project length is 14" and my swatch is 22cms, boy do I need help ðŸ™? 
Thanks,
Clarissa Joseph
S J
Sue Jalowiec

2 years ago
Hi Clarissa,
Can you please send a photo of your swatch with a ruler indicating stitches and rows?
You say your swatch is 22cm...  how are you measuring?

The trick is to know how many stitches and rows to 10cm then calculate the math.

Your swatch should be knit like this -so you can accurately measure without counting stitches

[measure_rows]  [measure_stitches] 
Once you know your gauge, finding how many rows to knit is a snap.

Please visit the Knit it
Now Classroom: Swatching is not Optional
J B
Jenny M Benson

2 years ago

Well, the short answer is that 14 inches equals 35.5 cms or 22 cms equals 8.75 inches.  But you really need to decide what units you want to use - inches or centimetres - and stick to that one.  An easy cop-out if you do want to switch between centimetres and inches sometimes is to get a tape measure that has inches printed on one side and centimetres on the other.

Jenny 
J B
Jenny M Benson

2 years ago
Clarissa, I've just had second thoughts about your question.  Are you by any chance using the Yellow Ruler to measure your swatch?  If you AREN'T, then please ignore the rest of this answer.

If you ARE using the Yellow Ruler I think perhaps you are using it wrongly.  The Yellow Ruler does not tell you what your swatch measures in centimetres, it tells you how many stitches or rows of your knitting are equal to 10 cms or 4 inches.   If your Yellow Ruler is reading 22 when measuring the rows, it means knitting 22 rows will give you a length of 5.5 inches (22 divided by 4.)

Similarly, using the other side of the Yellow Ruler to measure the stitches will give you a reading of so many stitches equals 4 inches or 10 centimetres.

But as I said, if you are not using a Yellow Ruler, ignore all that!

Jenny 
S J
Sue Jalowiec

2 years ago
Thanks, Jenny!
I hadn't considered that she was using a gauge ruler.

Clarissa, if you are unfamiliar with using a gauge ruler, here's a video
https://www.knititnow.com/learn/tutorial/944/using-gauge-rulers
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC