C K
Carolyn Kerrigan

1 year ago
Looking for advice on how to finesse sleeve inset.  I've just completed this short sleeve top (converted from HK pattern) with 100% cashmere (fine - not sure exactly what weight as the yarn came to me   unlabelled - but finer than fingering). The gauge is quite loose - @ T8.1 on my SK360 knit to pattern gauge of 26 st x 38 rows.  I knit the front and back, joined at one shoulder, did the neck band, joined the other shoulder then hung the sleeve opening (I hung the full edge stitch) to being the short row sleeve cap and proceeded.  After washing, a gently tumble dry, the fabric is lovely and drapey.  The problem: the join of the sleeve along the zone of the full fashion decrease - stitches are very loose. Any suggestions as to why this happens and how I might do this better next time to "tighten" up along this part of the join?81D3B4B8-8EFF-490E-B3E8-5C8ACC676484.jpeg
A S
Adrienne Scott

1 year ago
I prefer to decrease the sleeve using a full fashion method as well, that way you don't end up with using the edge stitch to join the two pieces and it looks neater. And well done, its a lovely style!
T S
Terri Smith

1 year ago
I (have been practicing set in sleeves using the practice pattern. I discovered something that is very helpful.
When you have hung your armhole and then your sleeve, You then use a piece of garment yarn and pull this yarn through Both stitches in hold. Then you use your carriage and knit a loose row, followed by a bind off ( I use around the gate peg loop/loop bind off).
Here is what I discovered:
When you use the piece of garment yarn to pull through both stitches on hold, put a knot at each end of it. After the sleeve is set in, you can identify this yarn and tighten up the joining quite a bit. This was really helpful for me because I found my machine was having a hard time knitting that row of stitches that you initially pull through both pieces , maybe because I am using a bulky machine and worsted weight yarn. But anyway, I’m sure someone else probably discovered this already, but it is sooo helpful to get the sleeve to look right after it is set in.

Terri
M K
Mary Kint

1 year ago
[QUOTE username=Adrienne Scott userid=6951781 postid=1332355031]I prefer to decrease the sleeve using a full fashion method as well, that way you don't end up with using the edge stitch to join the two pieces and it looks neater. And well done, its a lovely style![/QUOTE]
M K
Mary Kint

1 year ago
I do the full fashion decrease also on the sleeve & happy with the results. 
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC