K C
Kristin Coble

1 year ago
I have knit the center back and center front panels for the Knit It Now Magnolia A-Line sweater. I'm using a picot hem

I just put the center panel on blocking wires and steam blocked it. I will use "sew as you go" to do the front & back side panels. So far, so good! We'll see how I do on the curved hems on the side panels...

Project: Magnolia A-Line Sweater
Size: 1X
Yarn: Black Friday by Hobbii
Weight: DK acrylic
Machine: LK 150
Tension: 3
Gauge: 22 stitches x 30 rows
IMG_20220416_152603.jpg 
J G
Joy Green

1 year ago
Looking forward to seeing the finished sweater!! 😊 😊
Joy
K C
Kristin Coble

1 year ago
OK, after several attempts at trying to get the panel seams to look good, I gave up. The seams were too noticeable and didn't look "pretty". So I combined all 3 panels together and knit the entire front in one piece. I'm SO pleased with how it turned out. Just put in the blocking wires, pinned & steamed it. I'll make the back tomorrow.

IMG_20220417_204623__01.jpg
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
Hi Kristin!
It looks great!

The Magnolia pattern is designed with 3 panels for those times when you don't have enough needles on your needlebed to get the width you need. 

Since you had enough needles, you came up with the perfect solution for eliminating those seams!

BTW - joining seams is an art.  Most knitters will use Mattress stitch for a fairly invisible seam.  Please give it a try on 2 sample pieces before you seam the front and back of your sweater.

Sue

K C
Kristin Coble

1 year ago
Thank you, Sue! 

I've got both the front & back finished and almost done blocking. Tomorrow I'm tackling the sleeves and v-neck band.

I've been watching your tutorial on the v-neck bands in preparation ☺�
K C
Kristin Coble

1 year ago
Finally finished the sleeves. I learned a valuable lesson making these sleeves: don't rush!!! Everytime I started rushing, I would make a mistake. I learned how to fix quite a few things like forgetting the hem and picking back up to finish it. Or dropping a stitch too far trying to do latched ribbing.

I opted for 3x1 rib for the cuff so I didn't have to latch too much. I didn't care for the bulk of the mock rib at the cuff, so I took the time to latch it up. 

I've got the sleeves on blocking wires and pinned. Hopefully I can finish it all tomorrow with the v neck band and sewing the seams.

Gratuitous pic of my cat, Scout, trying to "help" me with the blocking wires. She thinks they're great toys 😂

IMG_20220421_232910.jpg  IMG_20220421_220907.jpg 
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
it's looking good!  
Great idea about using a 3x1 (or alternate arrangement) to reduce the amount of hand latching.

Nice to have a helper nearby ðŸ˜Š

Sue
K C
Kristin Coble

1 year ago
V-neck band and one sleeve joined. 

Shaping the v-neck was definitely time consuming with all the transfers to decrease at the center stitch. Sue's video for transferring just on one side was helpful. It was exciting to get that perfect fold along the turning row and whip stitch it into place. Worked perfectly!

After I attach the second sleeve, I'll just mattress stitch the sleeve and side seams. Hoping to finish this tonight!
IMG_20220424_122608.jpg 
K C
Kristin Coble

1 year ago
It's finally done!!! It fits perfectly, too. I'm so pleased. Gave it one last steam to relax the seams a bit. I tried to do most of it on the machine. However, next time I do a v-neck band, I will pick up the stitches on a knitting needle first as I didn't intend to have a noticeable ridge at the neckline. I went over it with slip stitch crochet to make it look like a chain edge to make it look better. 

I learned so much jumping into this project! Can't wait to do another project. I just got a Needle Beetle, so I might do a tuck stitch wrap. Now I'm trying to convince hubby that I *must* get a metal bed machine with a ribber & punch card 😂 

Thank you for all the great tutorials, Sue!

IMG_20220427_191838.jpg 
J B
Jenny M Benson

1 year ago
Superb result for your first project - well done!

I can quite understand you now wanting a metal bed and ribber.  It won't be long before you are yearning for an electronic machine and a garter carriage - but don't tell your hubby I said that!

Jenny
Wrexham, UK
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago

Congrats, Kristin! 

Thank you for inspiring us all with your success. ðŸ™ŒðŸ™ŒðŸ™Œ

Welcome to the world of machine knitting.  "This machine is fun ... but ... what I can do with a different gauge, a ribber... etc?"

You aren't alone ... I'll bet the majority of Mker's have multiple machines.

Sue

K C
Kristin Coble

1 year ago
Jenny, too funny! Your advice is safe with me LOL 😂

I have always wanted a "fancy" machine with a garter carriage. I wish they were still manufacturing them. I hesitate to buy older technology. But I drool over the gorgeous automated designs you can do on the electronic machines. 

Sue, thank you again. I'm so happy I found this site. It has been so easy to follow along with your lessons. I'm just waiting for Taitexma to start shipping again. I'm going to "have" to get a chunky gauge and standard gauge now ☺�
M G
Margaret Gorman

1 year ago
Beautiful!
J G
Joy Green

1 year ago
Kristin, it looks great!! 😊 😊
Joy 😊 
M H
Maurie Hiscock

1 year ago
Way to go Kristin, and yes your  husband should absolutely encourage you to get a metal bed machine with ribber and punch cards.
J R
Jeri Randall

1 year ago
Awesome job.
M K
Mary Kint

1 year ago
I had a chunky gauge but sold it because I like my midgauge better. It knits all the yarns I like to use.  I have a standard gauge too.  Decide what weight of yarns you like to knit with, then choose your machines. 😉.  One sweater I knit (a DK), I did the ribbing on my standard gauge then transferred to the midgauge to finish. 
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
Clever! With that suggestion, you can get nice, tight ribbing.  Best of both worlds!
Thanks for sharing!
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC