C Q
Cynthia Quill

1 year ago

I was wondering, I read somewhere that knitting with cotton is hard to do and should not be used when learning. Why? And, is this true?

Does cotton have a tendency to curl or is that stable and does not curl? In about 2 months I am hoping to continue knitting. I have been watching videos, in the meantime and taking advantage of all the wonderful tools on the site. 

If cotton is not ill-advised for learners, what weight would be good for my LK 150? Is there a particular brand or type that would be easier to use than others? 

I have not given up. �

Thank you.

S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago

Cotton can be problematic for a couple of reasons.

First, it tends to bias.  I'd hate to see a new knitter put a lot of time into something then to find it's "wonky" when they are done.

More importantly, cotton has little or no stretch or give.  It's difficult to hand manipulate stitches.
Picture crossing cables where you need to move 2-3 stitches across - if the yarn has no stretch it will be difficult.

Your LK takes a wide variety of yarn weights ... What do you like?  

Choose a fiber that is in your price range. Once you find something you like use it over and over.  
Too  many new knitters make themselves crazy by using all sorts of yarns and fibers only to be disappointed with the results.

Find something you love, then you can gain confidence with different techniques and projects by eliminating one variable.  You know how the fabric feels, how it washes ... without surprises.

J B
Jenny M Benson

1 year ago
In addition to what Sue has so rightly said I would say look for what we in the UK call Double Knitting (or DK), which I think is called Sport  Weight in the US.  I would choose 100% Acrylic for several reasons:  it is widely available, it is not too expensive, it washes and wears well.  If you can find a brand which offers a good range of colours you will not waste any because you can mix 'n' match and use up even small amounts of leftovers.  (Just be aware that sometimes different colours of the same yarn do not knit at exactly the same tension -"swatching is not an option" - now, I wonder where I heard that!!)  If you can find such a yarn on cone so much the better - you don't want to be faffing around with small balls which have to be re-wound and produce so many ends to weave in

Jenny.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC