C Q
Cynthia Quill

1 year ago
I am having a hard time finding my way around the site. I was working on the Practicing Set in Sleeves, or something like that Matthew added it, I believe, in 2017. I am trying to remember what I read. This video is working both armholes, no neck shaping. It is not just a half a front and back, therefore just one armhole.

I am very confused with it an wanted to ask some questions, but I cannot find it on the site.

I have used the search, which, I am afraid is also confusing to me, and have found some sleeve videos, but they are not what was discussed in the directions of the video with the full front/back with both armholes being worked, and do not show what is confusing me. This older video is doing both armholes, not just one, as the other videos show, and this is what I have a question about, so the other videos where only 1/2 of the front and back ( therefore just an armhole at one end) do not help. 

Can anyone provide the link? I have tried back tracking, etc. I thought I bookmarked it. I don't want to ask about it without the link because I don't want to get confused by the single armhole videos being talked about or provided in replies.

I did not know where to post this. I didn't see a "questions" section.
Thank you.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
Hi Cynthia,
I'm sorry you are struggling.

Asking questions:
You can always use the "contact us" link at the bottom of any page or https://www.knititnow.com/CONTACTUS
This goes directly to both Matt and I and we do our best to respond as quickly as possible.

As you've discovered, posting general knitting questions in the forum allows other knitters to respond. 

Searching for previously viewed videos:

In addition to tagging videos, you can see a listing (by date) of videos you've viewed previously
>Learn >Viewed Tutorials

cynthia.jpg

Searching:
For technical reasons we've had to group all our content by categories.
Since you are looking for a tutorial choose "learning library" and enter a search term

cynthia1.jpg

I'm sorry I don't recognize the technique you are referring to
I don't understand "just one armhole"????

Can you give me more information about what you are trying to do?

C Q
Cynthia Quill

1 year ago

In some of the armhole shaping lessons and videos, only one side is worked, half the front/back. The one I was doing was working both ends of the front/back, a small but complete front and back. I couldn't find that practice lesson again with the search in learning or classroom. I don't think there is a video to it. I printed if off, Practice Set In Sleeves, Creation date 12/30/2017, in my search I keep  coming up with a video that shows a greenish shoulder and only one armhole is shown, therefore, only decreasing on one end. 

In the Practice instructions it says
RC 33 bind off 4 stitches at each armhole edge
RC 35 bind off 3 st at each armhole edge
RC 37 bind off 1 st at each armhole edge
RC 39 Decrease one stitch every other row 4 times each side
            (39 - 41 - 43 - 45)
RC 36 Knit in pattern over 36 stitches

I think I have information overflow and it is just confusing me. I am no good with videos, only as an assist, and that is part of the issue. I really need to find a book with written instructions to use along with them. I should look for one.

It says for RC 33-45 to do these bind offs at each armhole edge. I was going to short row, but I thought you could only short row at the edge the carriage was at, therefore you cannot bind off or decrease at each edge in the same row.

Then I did a bind off of the 4 by the carriage by shifting stitches over and couldn't figure out how to bind off at the other end so they would be done in the same row. I undid the bind offs and put them back on their original needles. 

I cannot think of any bind off decrease where I can work both ends at the same time. I was looking for a video that shows both armhole edges being worked, not a half front/back. I hope I said that right.

I want to do some armholes, sleeve caps and necklines before I start another sweater. 

I want to do learn to do this binding off one way, maybe 2 because the method where you keep the same stitch or couple stitches for the edges is a convenient in some cases, and not be confused by a lot of other methods I read about. I think I am already getting messed up from information overload. The other way is short rowing. The one where you get the steps, unless you want the step edge, as jn the scarf, I don't think it is a good one to use.

I am thinking that I am wrong in that short rowing is only one edge each row. I think I would put the carriage in hold on each side, pull out the required needles. ie RC 33 would be 4 needles each edge, and wrap the carriage end, knit. RC 34.  Wrap the end that is now the carriage end, knit back. RC 35. Pull out 3 st each edge. Wrap the needle, knit to the other end, RC 36, wrap and knit. RC 37. Pull out 1 needle each edge, Wrap, knit, RC 38, Wrap, knit. RC 39. That is where I get stuck when I think of doing this. I have to finish off all those stitches on the hold needles so I can continue with rows 39-45. I don't want to add extra rows, making an armhole too large, to finish off the short row stitches that are in hold position before doing rows 39-45. 

What is the difference between binding off and decreasing? Rows 33-37 say bind off. Rows 39-45 say to decrease, so there must be something different, right? 

The videos are very helpful to demonstrate, but I really need a hand held book or set of reference instructions on these terms, how to do them, etc. Videos alone have never been a complete help with me. For me, it is always written documentation first, and video assist, unfortunately.

I am thinking there was no video with this practice, so I really don't need to find it again, but I am going to look, with the help above, and bookmark it.

I am going to try to think it through again in about an hour. Not giving up.

KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC