J L
Jane Lane

1 year ago
I need some help please.  I am using the knit it now toe up sock pattern.  I would  like to finish it with a ribbed leg by using my ribber.  I have seen a reference to do this but no instructions anywhere as to how to accomplish this.  Can any one help me?
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
Hi Jane!
Sorry to keep you hanging with those finishing instructions.
I'm assuming you don't want to hand knit the ribbing.

You have 2 choices.
ONE
  1. Cast on the needed number of stitches on the ribber
  2. Knit the desired length of ribbing.
  3. Transfer all the stitches to the main bed
  4. Knit 1 or 2 plain rows
  5. Scrap off
  6. Kitchener graft the ribbing to the live stitches of the sock.
TWO
  1. on the main bed, cast on the number of stitches needed  and hang the ribber comb (see the video link below)
  2. Knit a a few rows with waste yarn and ravel cord
  3. Hang the sock stitches on the machine
  4. Engage the ribber and transfer stitches to the ribber in the desired needle arrangement (1x1, 1x2 etc)
  5. Knit your ribbing flat
  6. Bind off (be sure to bind off loosely)

https://www.knititnow.com/learn/tutorial/609/ribber-cast-on-comb-for-single-bed-knitting

https://www.knititnow.com/learn/tutorial/333/easy-ribber-bind-off
J L
Jane Lane

1 year ago
I very much appreciate your response. Since I have all the necessary stitches on my main bed now, why couldn't I just transfer every other needle to the ribber for the 1x1 ribbing. I realize there would be no way to hang on the ribber comb but I do have some heavy weights.
J B
Jenny M Benson

1 year ago
I can't comment specifically about knitting socks because I have almost no experience in that field but I don't understand "I realise there would be no way to hang on the ribber comb".  It is perfectly possibly to hang the ribber comb when you have stitches on both beds - it's something I frequently have to do.  I find it easiest to lower the ribber ONE STEP AT ONE SIDE ONLY (I lower at the right end because I am right-handed and will insert the wire from that end) then push the comb up between the stitches.  If using a short or medium length comb it is easy to position the right-hand end of it in the right place to have the comb centres.  Push the comb right up, insert the wire, then lower the comb making sure it  falls over the knitting and doesn't catch on any of the needles.  Finally return the ribber to the upper position.

It wouldn't be necessary with socks, but if the knitting is very wide it might be easier to lower both sides, but again just one step, not all the way down.

Jenny

J G
Joy Green

1 year ago
Yes, I would transfer stitches to the ribber, and make sure you cast off loosely 😊
T B
Tina Brauckmann

1 year ago
I too would transfer every other stitch to the riber. Hanging the ribber comb when you have knit a bit can be trcky the first tim,  but you wil get it.
The most difficult step wil be the loose cast off.
I lately have discovered a stretchy sewing bind off,  that resembles an dobble ewrap cast on,  (on this site),  that works well after a little practice. The trick here is to be even. Transfer the stitches back to main bed before casting off.
T B
Tina Brauckmann

1 year ago
I mean this,  it is perfect for socks
J L
Jane Lane

1 year ago
I am thrilled with this reply because now I can finish my sock. Thank you so much. I will definitely try the stretchy bins off.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC