J F
Jill Foley

1 year ago
I'm hoping all you hand knitters can help me.
I have both of Sue's "Hand Knit to machine" guides, but I just can't figure out these directions.
Basically, there is a 12 st repeat in a row, that gets decreased by 2 sts. in the next part and repeats down to a 6 st repeat.
Here is what it says:

2nd row:  K3, *p9, k3, repeat from * to end = 12sts  (of repeat)
3rd row:  P3, * k4, yfwd, s1, k1, psso, k3, p3, repeat from * to end
4th row:  As 2nd row  = 12sts repeat
start of my confusion with the 3rd row... I think this means....
k4, knit 4 sts.,
yfwd, move 1 st to the right and leave needle in work, (I think yfwd = yo)
s1, k1, psso =  3 sts together = 1 st right and 1 st left leaving 3 sts on a needle
k3, knit 3 sts
p3, perl 3 sts

now don't I have too many sts!?!
do i need to move all sts together so that there are no empty needles?

no decrease yet!   but wait.....there's more!!!!!

5th row:  p3, * s1, k1, psso, k2tog, yfwd, k1, yfwd, s1, k1, psso, k2tog, p3, repeat from * to end

6th row:  k3, * p7, k3, repeat from * to end = 10 sts repeat

I'm just not getting the decreases.
THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL HELP.

I think I should stop looking at hand knitting patterns!!!!!!!

S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
** edited***

Hi Jill!
I'm guessing there isn't a stitch diagram?

Yes, yfwd does mean yarn over = leave an emptied needle in work in machine knitting

I'm reading row 3 to have 12 stitches for the pattern repeat plus the 3 border stitches
yfwd, s1, k1, psso  just involves 2 needles (not 3)

s1, k1, psso (or k2tog) just means 2 stitches on one needle in our world.
In machine knitting, transfer 1 stitch to it's neighbor and leave an empty needle.
Leaving an empty needle creates an eyelet

Whether in hand or machine knitting a YO (yfwd) or eyelet needs a corresponding Decrease (k2tog, or PSSO) to keep the stitch count the same on every row.  The eyelets doesn't have to be next to the decrease, but in your case they are

The problem with your pattern is determining which way the transferred stitch should lean.
In hand knitting Psso ( or ssk) means right leaning.
If you can see a good close photo of the stitch pattern, you can determine the "lean".

Hopefully this video will help it goes in a lot of detail about right and left leaning (which can get confusing because we are looking at our knitting backward - from the purl side)
jill2.jpg

https://www.knititnow.com/learn/tutorial/967/ssk-yo-k-tog-psso

As for the decrease ... remember every yfwd (YO) must have an associated k2tog (or psso) to keep the stitch count correct.

On your decrease row are 2 extra decreases - thereby decreasing the row count by 2

jill1.jpg

*** on the decrease row machine knitters have to transfer stitches to fill the emptied needles for the decreases.

I hope this helps, please let me know and I'll pick up some hand knitting needles and try to  make it more clear.
Please watch the video

Sue

J F
Jill Foley

1 year ago
you're right.... no stitch diagram.
ok.... tried on my machine!  got row 3....YIKES, all those abbreviations for basically just one move!
still don't get row 5
s1,k1,psso = 1 move  
could you please explain the center abbr.   k2tog, yo, k1,yo  -  is this 1 move or 2
because the next k2tog you say is -1 st.
sorry to be so dumb.......
including a pic....
J F
Jill Foley

1 year ago
Thank you so much! 
No, I'm not trying to translate to DAK.  I don't mind the hand manipulation.  I'm just trying to understand...
I believe I will have to move a bunch of stitches across the row in order to dothe decreases
I was thinking either hand manipulate the purl or use the ribber maybe!?!
Now I see you sent me an answer under a different topic......I'll go to that one!
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago

*** Edited by Sue****
not dumb!  This is hard especially because we are "translating" and looking at the knitting backward ðŸ˜‰

Look at the entire center section
k2tog, yfwd, k1, yfwd, s1, k1, psso

You'll transfer 1 stitch and leave an empty needle (eyelet), skip a needle (k1), then transfer a stitch to it's neighbor leaving an empty needle (eyelet)
the photo helps. Thank you.

Looking at the pattern the entire stitch pattern is a 12 stitch repeat.  Give me a bit and I'll draw a chart for you.  I think a visual would make this easier for you.

Question:
Are you planning to hand manipulate the purl stitches in the pattern?

You aren't trying to "translate" this DesignaKnit - corrrect?
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
UPDATE!
It turns out that Kelly was asking about the ruffled hem on this pattern. 

It took me a while to figure out that's what she was asking.  The bottom line on her question about the hand knitting instructions is there are purl stitches and multiple decreases to create the ruffles.  (Difficult, but not impossible to do on the machine) Here's my hand-knit version.

jill3.jpg

lace_test.jpg

In researching this for Kelly, I got carried away and created a new video demonstrating  how to hand manipulate the lace pattern in the body of this sweater using Knit it Now Cheat Sheets

If you re interested, here's a link to the new video
https://www.knititnow.com/learn/tutorial/2086/hand-manipulated-lace-using-cheat-sheets
J F
Jill Foley

1 year ago
Hey Sue.....
Sorry I wasn't more clear.  Yes, it was the ruffle I was having all the issues with.
Not being a Hand Knitter makes "reading" the instructions very hard (at least for me).  I think (maybe) if they were written with parenthesis, like math, so you know what goes with what - it  might be easier --- lol.
Anyway, I think it requires a LOT of stitch movement, which I'm ok with, because the pattern is only 12 rows.  
I even tried working it in reverse - starting with a 4 stitch repeat and adding 2 stitches every other row until I go to 12 in the repeat.
It worked, sort of, but I need to figure out where to put the "holes".  One good thing has come of this....I feel pretty comfortable using a garter bar now!!!!😄
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC