C Q
Cynthia Quill

1 year ago
I am working on getting my Brother 940 up and running. I think I need to order a new sponge bar, which would not surprise me, but I need to make sure that that is what this issue appears to be. Here are photos:

C0DCB2CF-D929-42CE-BD84-A7A79A855563.jpeg

Below is a photo of the needles on the bed. I think they are high, indicative of a sponge bar needing replacing?
A0E35F1E-25D1-41CA-AB67-6F76A03FD59B.jpeg

The needles themselves look great. It looks like my aunt may have replaced them all shortly before she had to stop knitting. I would think the sponge bar was replaced then, too, but they do degrade by drying out, etc.

I oiled the bed and carriage after cleaning off lint, which was nearly nonexistent. The carriage moves across the bed very easily and smoothly, and is extremely clean. Pretty sure she thoroughly cleaned this machine before putting it away. 

I just want to make sure this is showing needing a sponge bar replacement so I order the right item.

Thank you.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
The needles should be flat on the bed.  

Don't use the machine until you replace the sponge
J G
Joy Green

1 year ago
Yes, as Sue said - if a machine hasn't been used for a few years it's always best to change the sponge bar before using it 😊
Joy
C Q
Cynthia Quill

1 year ago
It was a sponge bar issue. I received the new sponge bar. I removed the old one and inserted the new one, easy peasy. 

The old one was evenly flat across the length. I thought so because all the needles were the same height from the bed. All needles are now flat and level across the bed. 

I did some knitting and not one skipped stitch, and it knits so evenly across. Time to do a swatch.

For those of you who are wary of changing a sponge bar, it was so easy on my Brother 940. I used Knit it Now's video on changing sponge bars. Search the Learning Library for changing sponge bars and you will find a video about it. Very well done.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
Yea! Success!🙌

Here's a link to the video.
https://www.knititnow.com/learn/tutorial/242/replacing-a-sponge-bar
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT