T B
Tina Brauckmann

1 year ago
Here is my aproach to the swan sock.
Since i am not native english speaking it is easier to explain on the block than in the meeting.

The picture shows the black ribbing,  then the fairisle around the legg, then continuing upwards for the innsteep over half of the stitches.

Because i am picky about stitch orientation and do not want to meet the fairisle from the legg downwards and the innsteep upwards i scrapped off for the heel and knit the innsteep downwards. Planned to knit the toe too and scrap off there,  but have to recalculate the innsteep after blocking. It turned out waaaaay too long after 2 rapports for the innsteep. Now i frogged 1 rapport and  wil get a childrens sock size 35-ish with a  longer legg. Nice in boots in winter Norway anyway. And i can make a new pair for me afterwards😊

I wil hang the heelstitches for the gusset,  when i have decided  and swatched for the pattern (heelstitch and  solestitch.) Then follow the swansock pattern until the shortrows for the toe are finished,  then graft it to the fairisle innsteep. IMG_20221012_111619.jpg
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
Tina,
Thanks for sharing this!
I can understand not wanting your fairisle pattern "upside-down"

The sock is going to be beautiful!
T B
Tina Brauckmann

1 year ago
Update on the gauge,  just the rowgage was pretty much off,  it is 32rows,  istead of 40 rows,  the stitchgauge remains at 32 stitches. That makes surprisingly square stitches.
I wil use a fairisle pattern for the sole in the same amount of stitches and rows.
Just the heel in slipstitch,  with 4 more rows for gaugedifference.
T B
Tina Brauckmann

1 year ago
For the construction: Think of the parts of the sock as modules,  as rectangles (or tubes when assembled) and shaped areas or pouches for toe and heel.
If you interchange one heeltechnic with an other,  that does not matter. Knitting a section round or flat,  upside down or sideways,  who cares. As long as every modul of the sock is there and can be neatly assembled,  you are good. You can even knit on a bias or freestyle the parts.

Some things to considder: mixing patterns may cause gaugedifferences or elasticity problems,  even on a small project. Plan for seamingstitches at joins,  sometimes it takes more efford and time. Is that worth it? Be prepared that SOMETIMES it may not fit,  not be as practical or nice as intended.

Some of you are not well experienced yet, at first it is important to master the basics and some basic shaping for the heel and toe, that is one of the biggest successes you can achive. And by all means,  we all need plein socks in the drawer and need to knit some simple stuff,  too (ok,  socks are not the mindless stuff at all)  but after understanding the sockanatomy by knitting a few, i encourage you to become adventurous. It is fun

Don't let the success of others or your difficulties disencourage you. And belive me,  I am not as experienced as it looks like,  the fairislepattern took days to make,  and my laptop and DAK were sometimes near to be thrown out the window. DAK has won according to some details, i am not happy with,  too. But i made a left and right sock in the same size,  that is a win for me. Maybe it may fit me after all? Maybe not.
But this sock wil be unique,  totally my design,  and pretty enough to be "damn proud off." 😊
L L
Lucy Lamberto

1 year ago
beutful very clever
T B
Tina Brauckmann

1 year ago
Sock nr. 1 now ready to assemble.
I did the heelflap and the turn in heelstitch, the alternating one. Started the solepanel when started the gusset. To shortrow in a slipstitchpattern is not so easy, eather. 
The sole was a challenge, since DAK does not quite, what i want, so for isolating the panel i had to handmanipulate every single white stitch on side of the solepanel. And then they turned out too tight. ðŸ˜¢IMG_20221014_133452.jpg
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
Looks beautiful!
T B
Tina Brauckmann

1 year ago
Even better,  now it is up at knititnow😊 IMG_20221015_155727.jpg
J G
Joy Green

1 year ago
Oh wow, that's really lovely!! 😊 😊 
B B
Barb Barone

1 year ago
Beautiful!  So motivating to see projects like this come off our machines! It can be done!  Every project I do, I learn something new about my machines!  
J S
Jean Schwan

1 year ago
Your sock is so beautiful....and very impressive...I am sure like everyone else, I learn something new everytime I sit down at my machine.
C S
Cherie Smiley

1 year ago
Wow Bettina!  Thank you for sharing every step of the way on your journey to make the perfect sock.  I've got quite a long ways to go before I can make such a beautiful sock, but when I get there it will be easier thanks to you!  Again, thank you for sharing your success! ðŸ˜„
L D
Linda Danielson

1 year ago
Wow!  It's so beautiful!
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC