C Q
Cynthia Quill

1 year ago

I was wondering if anyone knows anyone who does machine knitting in Auburn, NY, - Syracuse might be acceptable. 

I am looking for someone to give me in person lessons (meaning I would pay them), I can email back and forth with, etc for help. If you do know of someone, could you please message me? Do not post the name here in the forum.

The internet is useless for this. Years ago we could use the Pennysaver to find local services and people. 

Silver Needles, or whatever the exact name is, down in Cortland is too far away. Plus, I have contacted them a couple time without response, so I can't use them to find anyone my way, either. Everyone always gives me this group.

Also, to make this post useful for all, any suggestions as to how people can locate machine knitters in their area? It might be useful to just suggest ideas. For me, the internet has been absolutely a wasteland.

I was thinking of doing the following in the next couple weeks if I can't be directed to anyone:

1. Contacting the dealer, in Syracuse, where I bought my first Brother Machine - bulky.

2. Contact the curator of the rural farm museum about 20 minutes away. Maybe there is someone who works there who would know.

3. Our local paper is useless for classified, so maybe I will out an ad in the Syracuse papers, so maybe others can adjust this idea to any papers within your distance restrictions. I am going to use an old email address I was going to delete because it is not used at all for contacting, not my phone number or good email address. 

Can anyone think of other ideas to find local help or knitting buddies?

Thanks.

S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
At one time there were a lot of Mkers in the Cortland area ...  hopefully you can get in touch with someone.
Fingers crossed.

Sue
C Q
Cynthia Quill

1 year ago
I tried contacting the Cortland group a couple times over the years. I never hear back. I know they are still somewhat active. They are a bit out of the way, but I thought there might be a member from up my way. If all else fails, I will try them again. 
D A
Dale Anderson

1 year ago
Seems to me that you might consider remote assistance via Zoom. Then you wouldn't be limited to local people. Locals are clearly preferable, but Zoom might work if you have no other options. Just a thought. Good luck.
C Q
Cynthia Quill

1 year ago
I cannot do this via Zoom, FaceTime or any other computer type discussion, so that is not an option. Thanks for the suggestion, though. 
D B
Donna Bates

1 year ago
There's a Machine Knitting section in the Knitting Paradise forum (public and free to join). I've found it pretty helpful!
C Q
Cynthia Quill

1 year ago

Yes, I visit Knitting Paradise periodically, and yes, I also visit the other knitting machine group. It is not what I am looking for. I am trying to find someone in my area who can give me hands on lessons. It takes so long to cast on, to do the knitting, etc that Zoom, even if I had an arrangement I could do it with, is really not helpful -  too many angle distractions, I am not one who can do anything in front of a camera and that is what Zoom is, online lessons do not give you immediate feedback. I use this forum and all the tools provided, but, I need a hands on instructor to walk me through a sweater and a hat, just to get me going in the right track.

Right now, I second guess myself, and stop and look for a video, and then go back to what I was doing. This stopping and starting really takes away any confidence and is too choppy to learn and remember.  I have had too many failures. Somewhere along the line I am messing up, plus, I need it for confidence. I need help with the necklines to make them neater, etc. Hands on help is really what I am looking for. I am finding it hard to actually start anything with any confidence. 

This site is helping me immensely, and is a great alternative, but I really need to start producing something that I can actually use. Hands on, in person help with someone to guide me as I am doing it, and answer questions as I am doing it, is really what I need to fine tune so I can make useable items. I come across too many questions as I am doing anything.

S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
Cynthia,
I'm so sorry you are struggling.
I know it doesn't help, but you aren't alone in this.  Worldwide very few machine knitters have anyone nearby.

I hope you don't give up.

Sue
C Q
Cynthia Quill

1 year ago
Oh, I am not giving up. I did order that Nordic yarn we discussed.

I have never had this much trouble with anything I have tried, and it is extremely frustrating. For some reason I am finding this very intimidating. It is very strange. I will get this.

I love doing it, It is strange, but I think that one of the things that intimidates me is that if I mess up, getting yarn is just so frustrating. I can't just go out and get some more and try again, so I am hesitant to use it. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Michaels will have a good selection, that will work. They will be opening soon in the plaza that AC Moore used to be in. I could not find good yarn at AC Moore, so my fingers are crossed for Michaels.

Maybe, it is a mind game holding me back due to having to stop and order yarn online, so I don't trust myself using it. If i can just go get some more yarn when I mess up, I really believe, I will not be as hesitant. Does this make sense? I know I can do it. 
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC