C Q
Cynthia Quill

1 year ago
I have knit a few hats. The first few took a lot of time and created a lot of frustration. But after connecting with Sue, the hat I made under her guidance was much easier. 

These hats were made before contacting Sue.

809EF0AA-92EF-49CA-9883-3E11288910AF.jpeg

92897D2F-11BE-42ED-950F-4D5283F68AD8.jpeg

The bottom hat kind of evolved after making the curled hem hat at the top. I was playing with the curled bottom of that top hat and decided that I like it when I just pulled that purl side up and sewed it to the hat, like a reverse hem. I had purl stitches for the hem showing instead of rib. It is enough that it can double rolled for warmth. These two hats should not have taken as long as they did, and I was not entirely sold on the way they looked when finished, although, they have grown on me. 

The following hat is the hat I finished with Sue:
D7144A6D-F878-4631-87C8-3F43B207976A.jpeg

It is for my granddaughters. I used Tamm Nordic yarn on my LK150. I used the every other needle at the top to eliminate the bulk when gathering. It is much better, I highly recommend that. The mock ribbing was done with CT at 3 and MT at 5. The body of the hat was CT at 4 and MT at 5. 

I have to say, I have played with mock ribbing before and was not a fan. But, I love it on this hat. I think when I was playing with it, it was just too loose of a tension to use as a hem and just did not work well or look right. Try mock ribbing and save yourself a lot of time and work. If you don't like it, try a little tighter tension.

I think that for my next hat, I will use the rib yarn above where the rib is flipped up to join, or beyond the fold if it is folded. This will not give a different color showing at that fold, and allows for another fold and still have that color. If you look carefully, the light lavender does show at the bottom, below the dark, in spots, if you look closely. If I had not immediately switched to that light lavender, that line would be eliminated.

Yesterday, I was googling and found another knit hat. I decided to see if I could do one that was not a dynamic pattern format. The above ones are modified from the dynamic patterns. This is what I ended out with:

58FCDB73-5C66-4A51-8E1E-133DFA373310.jpeg

I like the hem with the picots, but the flair, not a fan of. That was the style, though. My sister-in-law was a couple like this, so I will giver this one. I was not thrilled with how it looked in me. This style suits her better.

The pink yarn was yarn I had. It is actually variegated, but has long stretches of one color, It is neat, however, that the dark pink did the inside of the picot hem and went all around the bottom of the picots, where it is folded, evenly around the entire hat, then it changed to the light pink right where it should on the other side of the hem. I doubt that will ever happen again with any variegated I use. That was amazing. At the top, however, I cut the yarn and then started with the long stretch of dark. I knew there would be enough of the dark stretch of yarn to finish, based in the amount of knitting that was created with the light pink.
T B
Tina Brauckmann

1 year ago
 Variegated yarn can be a strugle to get planned results from.I love your creativity. The rosa hat turned out really nice.
The lila hats are as cute a they can be. I am sure your grandkids will love them.
And I see your progress. The lila mock ribb hat is beautiful. Looking forward to see more of your work.�
C Q
Cynthia Quill

1 year ago
Thank you.
J G
Joy Green

1 year ago
They look good Cynthia, well done 😊
I must admit, the only hat I've ever made was for my hubby and came out far too big, but that was a long time ago!! It could even have been hand knit...? 🤔 Lol... 
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
Negative Ease! �
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC