C Q
Cynthia Quill

1 year ago

I had problems chasing tools around when using my LK150. Storing them vertically in a cup was not working. I was constantly tipping it over or snagging and poking my wrist on transfer tool points when reaching. 

I picked up a silverware tray at Lowes today, and will give that a go.

9DEA6A91-8715-4375-8007-E04D22B4781B.jpeg

Between the top cast on comb and the one below it is a connector piece. I will need it when using a longer cast on comb, so I just placed it on top of the cast on comb section that is under the top section.

The little plastic container is holder little yarn scraps I made into loops for quick grabs of yarn markers. 

J G
Joy Green

1 year ago
Ooh, that's a good idea! 🙂 
J B
Jenny M Benson

1 year ago
What a brilliant idea, Cynthia!  I do keep my small tools in a pot and manage OK with that; my cast-on combs go on a narrow shelf under the table for one of my machines (rather narrow table) and in the machine lid on the table behind the mid-gauge machine.  My really useful storage solution is a metal vegetable rack on wheels - which I REALLY should have tidied up before taking the photo!  It sits neatly between my desk and the end of my knitting machine table and means I can keep everything such as Lace & Transfer Carriages, spare tools, cast-on strips, etc, etc, close at hand as I am knitting.  The plastic tub which once contained detergent pods is useful for holding all sorts of small odds and ends. (The After Eight tin is full of spare needles!)

Jenny
Tool Rack.jpg
C Q
Cynthia Quill

1 year ago
Nice!

I do have one of those Sterilite plastic drawer bins on wheels beside me; but it is not real handy because things just kept moving around inside the drawers. The drawers are not large enough for bins inside them to hold things in place. Even with the cast on combs separated; they are too long for the drawer without being angled. Then they snag whatever is inside the drawer with them.

I have some odds and ends knitting machine items and sewing items inside it. My room is dual purpose, knitting machine and sewing.

This is the first time I am knitting with this setup. So far so good. I suspect there will be a little rearranging, but it is working so far.On a lunch break now. 
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
Cynthia,
That is soo inspiring!  Can you come over an organize my messy workroom?
C Q
Cynthia Quill

1 year ago
Thank you. It did seem to work nicely, yesterday, although there was one change from the overall plan.

My overall plan was to place items back after each use during the knitting time. It worked best to just leave the few items I use a lot on the table in front of the machine. Other items were placed back in the tray after use. This eliminated the clutter I had on the table and searching for those items I use all the time, and those occasionally used tools. Does this make sense? When I was done for the day, it was easy to just place those often used tools back where they belong.

I ended out laying the weights, note they are in the back end of the tray, flat on the table, in front of the machine as I removed them after their first use. I was going to use them again, and figured, they could just be in front, to the right of the mast while using the knitting machine. When I was completely done, I just placed them back in the tray. I did not have to search for them while knitting because nothing else was scattered on the table.

Also, I use the 1 x 2 transfer tool a lot, so that was on the table in front of the machine, also. I did use the 3 x 1 one time, and it was placed back in the tray. after it was used.

The only tools I use a lot are the 1x2 transfer tool and weights. They are the only items that were out of the tray while knitting. Very easy to see and grab. The other items, because they are sorted in the tray slots, are easy to see, grab and put back, when needed. I have room for my printed instructions to lay right in front if me, with a little 5x7(approximately) notepad. The pencil is easy to retrieve from the tray because I know that is where it is.

By the way, I also have another pencil inside a magnet tube made to hold the pencil, they are sold as a set, that pencil is attached to my table leg, on the right side. Luckily, the leg is metal and the magnet just sticks there, always accessible.

Oh, storing the cast on comb the way I did, with the connector attachment between the top comb and the second comb - because the connector would be needed - was great! No searching in another place for the connector. It could be kept attached to one end, but it was a little long that way. The second connector is ready and waiting on top of the third comb. 
L G
Linda Faye Goncher

1 year ago

Great idea! Thank you. I was using a mug but from where I sit I have to pick up the mug to find tinier objects. Plus I was running out of space in that mug! Thank you!

Linda from Central FL

KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC