C Q
Cynthia Quill

1 year ago
My daughter asked if I could make her daughters a couple of scarves, I had to decline for for now. Sounds so simple, be the rolled edges are a horror, once again.

I am using the LK150, there is no ribber for it. I tried my reversing the front and back trick I did on my hat. I scrapped off a few rows, Removed the knitting. rehung with the other side facing, and repeated. That did not look so nice with a scarf and it is a lot of rehanging and flipping because scarves are long. Even at a length of 36 inches, it was too much flipping and what I dod do, I really did not like the look of. 

I looked at one of my scarves, store bought. It seems to have been knitted in the round. I am thinking this is something that can be done on a ribber? So, if I did it on a ribber, I could, supposedly, knit a tube and then just sew the short ends to close it, right? 

I think I would just knit. I would not have to do any flipping, or rib stitches. It looks like it is just plain stockinette sewn in the round (I think that is what it is called). I am not sure if my Tamm Nordic can be used on my Brother 940 w/ribber, though. I will have to check if this can be done on a ribber before Imhaul it out and check. I am not interested in sewing a long seam on a double wide scarf done on the LK150 to tame the curl a little. The seams always have that slight curve where the seam is, too. Ironing them out is not a solution because each time it is washed, it would have to be redone, My daughter is not going to want to do that. 

Is my thinking about the ribber correct? would it do a non-curled edge scarf, if just knitting a tube in the round and sewing the ends closed when I am done?

Thanks for your input.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
Yes, knitting a scarf in the round with a ribber sounds like your solution. - no seam and no flipping!

Tamm Nordic is too heavy for your standard machine.  Period.

If you knit the scarf flat and fold it in half, you don't have to just mattress stitch the seam.

consider making the seam a "design feature" with a haripin lace seam
https://www.knititnow.com/learn/tutorial/265/hairpin-lace-seam

What about knitting a tuck or tuck lace scarf?

C Q
Cynthia Quill

1 year ago
Tuck sounds interesting.  I take it, it won't have the curled edge if done in tuck?

It might be fewer or more needles needed than what was calculated for my generated pattern after I swatch in the tuck pattern. I think it affects the width.

I will have to look into the LK150 manual for the tuck info and do a swatch of that and see what it looks like. 

I was confused by the hairpin lace video, but I will look into that another time. Might make  nice side seam for a sweater, whenever I can get ine ofmthise made, 😀

Thanks.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
Tuck won't completely eliminate the curl but it really helps.
There is an entire module about tuck in our course "Master LK-150 patterning".

https://www.knititnow.com/challenge/34/master-lk-patterning

An every-other-needle tuck would be pretty and easy to do with your 1x1 needle pusher.

I'd knit it loosely for better drape for a scarf.

Tuck knits MUCH wider than stockinette so you will have to re-calculate your pattern
Use our Rectangle/square tool for the stitches and rows.
https://www.knititnow.com/tools/Rectangle.cfm

KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC