D B
Donna Bates

1 year ago
I'm working on modifying a hand knit cardigan (Lion Brand Berkeley Cardigan) for working up on my KX930/940 it's a pretty unstructured, loose fit cardigan, no buttons or button holes and would be a good one to be my first experiment in converting a pattern over for machine knitting
I decided to handle the lace along both sides of the front as a separate piece and since I'm learning how to use the electronic patterns in my machine I was dying to use one of those lace patterns instead of the one in the pattern. The fronts call for neckline shaping as follows in the HAND KNIT directions (my concern is about the bolded text)
-----
LEFT FRONT
Cast on 77 (87) sts.
Knit 4 rows.
Row 5 (RS): K50 (60) sts, place marker, k25, place marker, k2.
Row 6: K2, work Row 1 of Spider Lace pattern to next marker, purl to end.
Row 7: K to first marker, work Row 2 of Spider Lace pattern to next marker, k2.
Rep last 2 rows, continuing Spider Lace pattern as established between markers, until Front measures 18 1/2 (19) in. (47 (48.5) cm) from beg, end with a WS row.
Next (Dec) Row: K to 2 sts before marker, ssk, work in Spider Lace pattern to next marker, k2 – 76 (86) sts at end of row.
Continue as established, rep Dec Row every 4th row until piece measures same as Back to armhole, end with a WS row.

Shape Armhole
Bind off 20 (25) sts at beg of next row. Continue to rep Dec Row every 4th row until 42 (45) sts remain.
Work even until armhole measures same as Back to shoulder, end with a WS row.
Shape Shoulder
Bind off 5 (6) sts at beg of next 3 RS rows – 27 (27) sts when all bind offs have been completed. Continue in Spider Lace pattern and Garter st edge for 3 1/2 (3 3/4) in. (9 (9.5) cm).
Bind off.
-----
So I did a test run of one of the fronts. I wind up with this weird 'bump' where it starts to taper (the decreases); but if I don't put that taper in it'll have too many stitches up at the shoulder. So I'm looking for some advice. These are the options that I thought of - if anyone has any that are different PLEASE let me know! I've also attached a photo of that test run.
  1. Taper neckline by decreasing further into the row, maybe mid-way to keep the stitch count correct for the shoulder sloping.
  2. Taper neckline by moving the stockinette over to the opening (using a garter bar) instead of moving the taper into the stockinette (hope that makes sense)
  3. No taper at all, not my first choice.
  4. All decreases in the row BEFORE the shoulder sloping, affecting a slightly gathered look perhaps.
  5. Decreases in the armhole side (not real sure about this one).Sweater Test Front.png
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
HI Donna,

Pretty sweater!  Good choice for the challenge for yourself.

Have you matched the pattern gauge of 18/24?

The weird bump looks like the decreases were worked too quickly.  Did you work the decreases every 4th row?

What is your lace row gauge and your stockinette row gauge?

Did you knit the same number of rows for the lace as the front piece?  

I'm wondering if the difference in gauge is the reason for the bump.

This could be a fun knit-along, if anyone is interested.....

D B
Donna Bates

1 year ago
Have you matched the pattern gauge of 18/24?
  • Yes m'am!
The weird bump looks like the decreases were worked too quickly.  Did you work the decreases every 4th row?
  • I thought I did them correctly, at least as far as I can recall now! Mind you, I did the test run before the holiday so I'm questioning myself now.
Did you knit the same number of rows for the lace as the front piece?  
  • Well the lace panel is slightly longer than the front opening since it has to join up at the back neck of the cardigan, so the answer is no it's longer but that's up at the shoulder seam.
D B
Donna Bates

1 year ago
I thought I'd share an update! The sweater has been reworked and is now seamed, blocked and DONE! And it's now going up for sale.
PXL_20230117_155759722.jpgPXL_20230117_155821605.jpg
PXL_20230117_155808837.jpg
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
Beautiful!  Congrats!
T B
Tina Brauckmann

1 year ago
So beautiful. Well done.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd