M W
Margaret Walker

1 year ago
I've noticed that Fair isle yoked jumpers and cardigans seem to be in fashion (in the UK at least). I would love to knit some but am struggling to sort out a pattern. I use designknit for most of my knitting as I never seem able to match tensions if I follow a pattern. However this is defeating me. Does anyone else fancy learning more? If so - Sue, is this a possible Knitalong?
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
Are you thinking of a round yoke fairisle sweater created in DAK?

I tackled round yoke sweaters on knitting machines in this course. (not DAK)
https://www.knititnow.com/challenge/101/hand-knit-yoke-sweaters

Basically hand knit the yoke, picking up and knitting the body on the machine.
J B
Jenny M Benson

1 year ago
In her book A Resource Book Pattern Supplement Kathleen Kinder includes a FI yoke sweater with instructions for several sizes.  It includes a LOT of hand manipulation because basically you knit a few rows in FI, then 2 rows stockinet and decrease all across the row, and repeat that a few times.  I have never tried knitting it yet although I have long intended to do it one day.

Jenny
A B
Audrey Bramel

1 year ago
I have been contemplating a yoke style of sweater as well.  Since I am not a hand knitter, I would like to use the km as much as possible.  I need to brush up on my garter bar skills and practice raglan necklines before I start an actual project.
J F
Jill Foley

1 year ago
Not to detract from KIN, which I love, but, there are FaceBook groups that address both of these subjects, machine knit yokes (Irene Woods) and DAK creation of yokes (Sheila West) great detail and very helpful.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
Thanks @Jill Foley

I've never been interested in pursuing this topic ... I machine knit to get things done faster.
IMHO
I can knit a round yoke by hand faster than messing with it on the machine ðŸ˜„
Sue
A B
Audrey Bramel

1 year ago
Thanks Jill, 
I will take a look at their ideas and suggestions. 😀 
M W
Margaret Walker

1 year ago
Thanks everyone - lots to think about here. I'm not a handknitter and need more experience with DAK to follow Sheila West . The Irene Woods site looks promising.
J G
Joy Green

1 year ago
Margaret, I have made Eileen's lace yoke sweater, it came out really well! 😊 😊
Joy
J F
Jill Foley

1 year ago
I made the lace yoke sweater too....it did come out really well.  A good learning experience....and I put the "pattern" in DAK.   (I have a Brother 970).
M W
Margaret Walker

1 year ago
Hi Joy & Jill,  Sorry to show my ignorance, but where do I find Eileen's pattern?
J G
Joy Green

1 year ago
Hi Margaret, please see Facebook link
Joy 😊
https://www.facebook.com/groups/431730810551554/?ref=share
M W
Margaret Walker

1 year ago
Many thanks
M F
Michelle Ferguson

1 year ago
You can absolutely do the yoke on the machine. I hosted a knitalong the last 2 years on making festive yokes using Irene woods pattern, with her permission and attendance, which was a great way for people to be able to ask the designer any questions about the pattern. The 2nd time I created one I decided to progress my DAK skills to enable a wider stitch design that didn't jog on the shoulder join, I did give those who joined in my original punchcard pattern as a thank you for participating but I didn't need two of the same jumper. You can see the finished garment on my clubs Instagram = Dunfermline.Machine.Knitting. It was a fun knit and I learned a lot ensuring that my tiers were separate files to match the specific size I was creating which means it doesn't interchange between sizes. The biggest learner point was boy did that body transition colourwork use up plenty of my indie dyed yarn!! I lost yarn chicken but think the white cuffs on the sleeve aren't too far from getting away with being a design feature.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
Michelle,
It looks like quite a challenge .. thanks for sharing!

Sue
T B
Tina Brauckmann

1 year ago
I love KIN,  but i too have knit the irene woods lace round yoke sweaters 4 times this year.patten is great explained,  and once or twice knitted,  you may get an understanding how it is build up,  and how you can go around matching her tension,  too. My last one  got off the needles just 3 days ago,  heavy modified because row gauge and stitchgauge was totally off.
An other was just off in rowgauge,  one was handknit because of variegated yarn outcome,  and the first followed the standard gauge pattern.
The patterns are really good explained, try it,  have fun,  and i wish you success.
And for Sue,  that pattern is not from you,  but without your site and all that knowledge i would not be able to do all that stuff. 
To knit the yoke by hand is always an option,  but i like to knit on machine. Its personal preferance.
I used totally different yarns,  and the same pattern came out totally different.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC