T C
Teresa Carey

1 year ago
Hello All,
I've been a hand knitter since I was a child and I'm a compulsive wool buyer. To get through my supplies before I kick the bucket I bought my first machine - an LK 150 - about six weeks ago. I've lived on Youtube and Knititnow and have gone through one stash of wool making every mistake in the book and a few I've probably invented myself. I'll limit myself to a few questions and hope someone can help.

Is there an alternative to claw weights for knitting - something that doesn't have wicked sharp pointy metal fangs? Nail varnish on the tips? Clips with bags of salt attached?

Is there an easy way to see what you've knit while it's still on the machine? The only surface high enough to save me crawling around with a torch is the kitchen counter but that's impractical. A desk that goes up and down or a high desk with a chair that goes up and down? Maybe a call to a carpenter is needed?

Apart from Tuck stitch, any other stitch variations that use needle manipulation rather than stitch manipulation? I've had to go on some meds (hopefully temproarily) that give me a shake in my hands. You can imagine what it's like trying to chase down a single stitch and get it on a tiny hook! 

Thanks for all the help and ideas on the site. Happy knitting with steady hands.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
Hi Teresa!

Welcome to the world of  machine knitting!

"every mistake in the book and a few I've probably invented myself"
We've all been there! ðŸ˜„

Why do you want to replace the claw weights? When I first started knitting I was afraid that they would damage my knitting ... but I got over that.

You could "invent" some sort of weights with clips. but remember weights are important to proper stitch formation especially when casting on.  Depending on your machine, after you've knit a few inches the weight of the knitting itself is sometimes enough.

Whatever height table you use, be sure it's sturdy enough for the back and forth motion of the machine.  An adjustable desk may not be sturdy enough.

Other stitch pattern ideas without manually transferring:
  1. Slip stitch (pull out needles with your needle pusher and use the side levers to "skip" stitches
  2. Stripes
  3. Multi-color tuck
  4. Multi-color slip
  5. Play with tensions - alternate really loose rows with really tight rows
  6. Fairisle
  7. Knit weave - just weave a 2nd yarn over and under needles and knit.
  8. Using interesting yarns (self-patterning or textured) can also create beautiful fabrics quickly without a lot of fuss.
You might want to consider a Needle Beetle to make selecting needles easier.

We'd love to watch your progress and successes .. please share!

Sue

KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC