S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
has anyone here tried using a die cut machine (Silhouette, Cricut) to create puncards.

I see that there is a Ravelry group on the topic. 

https://www.ravelry.com/discuss/machine-knitting/1792979/1501-1525

Anyone have any experience with this?
M F
Michelle Ferguson

1 year ago
Yes, I did a video on it for the brother scan n cut. Using the generator tool by Brenda A Bell. Some limitation in terms of finding sheet material the right size but a4 tends to make more waste so I found some 12x12 sheets but ideally would want to source 12x24 to allow longer cards but I have been successful in making a long card from 2 generated files and put it onto the 12x12 since that can take 2 punch card widths. 
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago

Thanks @Michelle Ferguson,

Do you think there is a lot of interest in this topic?

I'm such a nerd, it fascinates me, but I don't have a cutter machine.

Is it more trouble than it's worth? 

M F
Michelle Ferguson

1 year ago
I think it depends on the individuals circumstances. The machines can be a considerable purchase. More so cricut as they charge for the design space programme on the computer. Since having dak and an electronic machine I don't tend to use my punchcard machine as often as creating individual design with the electronic is less wasteful for materials (and cost) . 

Most people with wrist/hand mobility won't mind punching a card if they only use a punchcard machine. The cutter obviously removes any risk of a mispunched hole, providing your initial .Txt file is accurate. And I like that it can be cutting away whilst I work on the knitting machine sorting a swatch etc. 

It was fun to experiment with before having dak. 

If I were to look at creating punch cards more on a business idea (for those with odd sized cards) then I think I'd go for a laser cutter since the digital cutting machines require replacement items like blades/mats/sheet media to cut into. 
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
Thanks, Michelle!
C S
Cherie Smiley

1 year ago
Thanks Michelle for the added information you provide.  Based on the cost of a die cutting machine, I think I'll keep saving towards the DAK program and cable for my electronic knitting machine, and arrange with a friend, who owns a die cutting machine, to cut the odd punch card.
K R
Karen Robbins

1 year ago
I saw a YouTube video using the Brenda A Bell  generator tool and cut on a Cricut using plastic note book dividers.  It seems much easier than hand punching.  When I analyzed the cost of buying a punch and blank cards, it was nearly half the cost of buying a Cricut when shipping was included.  With the ease of making punch cards with Cricut it was worth it to buy a machine.  I thought it was very interesting.  Link to the video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ6OC8yrMY4.  She also has a video on numbering and labeling the punch cards. 
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago

Karen,
Will please keep us posted about your progress with this?

I've been tempted over the years, but ... do I really need to buy/store/learn yet another type of  machine?  😂 

J B
Jenny M Benson

1 year ago
I was interested to see the video as I was totally ignorant on the subject of die cutting machines.  I'm now happy to know that I am not missing out on anything!  I'm sorry, but I just can't see why anyone would want to go through all that palaver (and expense!) for a job that only takes a few minutes.

Jenny
K R
Karen Robbins

1 year ago
I will keep you updated.  My machine is being delivered Monday. I am a bit of a computer geek so this is interesting to me.  Punching a card by hand makes my eyes cross so this is definitely an individual preference.  My daughter has also asked me to make her stickers and gift tags for her sourdough baking business. At least that is how I am justifying the purchase :-).

Karen
C Q
Cynthia Quill

1 year ago

OK, I watched the video and I have to say, I am impressed. I was, at first, thinking this has got to be so much work to use a Cricut for punch cards. Now, I am not doing patterns yet, but when I got my first knitting machine, it was a bulky 260 with punch card reader. The company I purchased it from gave me a couple lessons and did show me how to use the punch card, and I did use a couple punch cards with her. When I got home I made, I guess you could call, swatches with patterns, using one of the many many cards that came with the bulky. I cannot wait until I am ready to do patterning.

After watching the above video, I think that if you already have a Cricut, which I do, this would be pretty cool. Would I buy a Cricut just to do this, probably not, but I don't think I would ever be making punch card patterns. If you do do a lot of making of your own punchcards, punching many designs in a session, it might be worth it. You could actually hand punch while the Cricut is cutting out another punch card, a twofer! But I would weigh the cost of the Cricut against manual cutting and need, if finances is an issue.

She seems to be using the free version of the Canvas Workspace. For punch cards, that is probably good enough.

I make greeting cards and have both the Cricut and Scan N Cut (got it from a friend who was upgrading her Scan N Cut), and I have manual machines. I put my Cricut and Scan n Cut on a shelf over a year ago because they were to much work to do cards with, and I like the bevelled edge dies give you. But, having watched this video. I am going to get my Cricut down and try to do a punch card, heck, I might do another greeting card, 😂. 

So, in my opinion, if you have a Cricut, definitely give it a try. If you don't have a Cricut, don't make a lot of punch cards, and have no issues using a manual puncher, I wouldn't buy a Cricut, unless you can afford it, you might find other uses for it. I did cut removable vinyl to labels for drawers in my craft room so that I knew what was in the drawers. If you do a lot of cards, say for distribution, it takes about 10 minutes per card to cut, you might want to get one - taking your financial situation into consideration. You could always do the "twofer" option Cricut and hand punch to speed up the process.

I was very surprised by watching the video.

I think I might just try this. I have to find a program to create a text file. There might be one on my computer already. I tend to stay away from cloud stuff. Just my preference.

I hope this was helpful.

C Q
Cynthia Quill

1 year ago
You might be able to find other brands of computer electric cutting cutting machines that use svg files, and have a big enough cutting pad. I don't know. of any, but I never looked. Someone might have an older model Scan n Cut or Cricut for sale, but make sure they have disconnected it from them, I remember my friend had to do something to "disconnect" her Scan n Cut from her account or something before she gave it to me. I don't remember the details. Just ask about that if you buy a used Cricut or Scan n Cut, and check the web for details.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC