M K
Margaret Krug

1 year ago
I have been having issues with my Studio 382 machine knitting tubular for a pair of gloves. I have tried just tubular knitting for practice--same issue. Here is the issue: When I have the machine set for tubular with my carriage on  the right. As I knit across even on the first row some of the needles come out to meet the carriage and every other one pulls back like it wants to knit K1Pl rib, but machine is not set for rib[--it is set for tubular. I have sent some pics so you can see what it is doing. When the carriage goes from right to left there are loops instead of stitches on every other needle. The weird thing about this is I have done tubular many times on this machine and never had an issue til now! I have put in two new sponge bars-machine and ribber, and new needles on the main machine which are in the middle where I am doing this work. Any suggestions would be grateful.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago

It looks like the main bed is slipping every other needle.

We confirmed that Margaret doesn't have a punchcard in place ... what would make the needles select without a punchcard?

What are we missing?

Sue

J B
Jenny M Benson

1 year ago
I know nothing about Knitmaster/Studio machines so this may be way off beam, but my Terry is a Brother 710 machine where the needle selection is made with 8 push-buttons and then operating a handle which pushes needles forward from WP according to which buttons are selected.  At least that's what's supposed to happen.  What actually happens is that several needles *beyond needles in WP* are brought forward from NWP to patterning position.  I am about to have this machine examined by a Repair Guy but he has told me that in all probability the selection mechanism is "glued up" by old oil and dirt and that a thorough clean will cure the issue.  I wonder if Margaret's machine is affected in a similar way in that selectors within the punchcard mechanism have got bunged up so the machine is acting as if a punchcard is in place.

(My much-loved Terry is seeing his doctor on Tuesday, so fingers crossed, please, that he comes home cured!)

Jenny
M K
Margaret Krug

1 year ago
The needles in question are already in work position as there are stitches on the needles from the cast on. When the carriage is moved from right to left they are pulled back but maybe that is what is happening. Problem being I don't have any one close where I can get it cleaned. o machine dealers within 300 miles or more of me. Don't know how I am going to get it cleaned, shipping would be huge.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
Margaret,
What happens if you try this?
  • Drop the ribber
  • Set the main bed carriage to plain knitting
  • Remove the sinker plate
  • put some needles in work on the main bed
  • pass the carriage - observe the movement of the needles
  • Set the carriage to slip
  • pass the carriage and observe the movement of the needles

What I'm looking for: When does the carriage start selecting every other needle?

Repeat this with the sinker plate in place

Then connect the ribber -  and set it for full needle rib
Observe
Then set for circular knitting

Sometimes observing without yarn can give you a clue as to what is happening.
M K
Margaret Krug

1 year ago
I will try this and report back to you.
M K
Margaret Krug

1 year ago
I did these steps that you suggested  downloaded pics as I am not sure what to look for. I also did some practicing with pattern knitting just to see how it would work and it worked beautifully (couldn't get pic to  load). So the circular knitting seems to be the problem. I have located a flat bed glove pattern to use if I can't get this resolved. Just need to adjust pattern for a  larger size. If anyone has a men's larger size pattern for gloves I would appreciate having it until I get this problem resolved. Thanks for all the help.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
Margaret,
Just a thought ....
Since circular knitting involves slipping in one direction, have you tried reversing the direction of the slipping?

If you are slipping right to left on the main bed, try slipping left to right ... 
M K
Margaret Krug

1 year ago
I will give that a try. I am open to trying anything!
M K
Margaret Krug

1 year ago
PROBLEM SOLVED! With the help of a fellow knitter from Maine that also has a Studio Machine, she gave me this advice: Turn the card reader on with no card in it and knit. She thought maybe the drum was set for every other needle. I did as she said and IT WORKED I can now knit circular just like before. I am so excited!! Thank you everyone for all your suggestions and help--I am grateful. This was certainly a learning experience for me--I knew nothing about the drums or how to work with them. Never too old to learn I guess. Have a great day everyone and Happy Knitting!!!!
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
Great news!  Memory Drums 
[memory_drum]
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC