S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
Hello!  Welcome!  Don't just lurk around in the shadows, PLEASE SAY HI!

In this section of the forum we'd love if you share your story.
Simply start a new thread like "New Member: Sue Jalowiec from Phoenix, AZ (US)"

Tell us:
  • Who are you?
  • Where are you?
  • Where are you on your machine knitting journey?
  • When did you get started?
  • Why did you join Knit it Now?

Don't be afraid to share ... this is a private community ... just us knitters!

We want you to feel part of this community and you can help us by welcoming others too.

Once you've introduced yourself, please say "hi" to someone else who has just become a member. Check in with the "Introduce Yourself" section in the forum and say "hi" to new members (and check to see if someone is local) 

START YOUR INTRODUCTION THREAD

Hugs,
 sue_signature.gif

PS
If I can get in front of the camera LIVE every Tuesday (even on bad hair days) you can say "hi" here! 

Community Policies
J M
Jill Manzoni

1 year ago
Hello, I am JILL from Oregon. I graduated from circulars and hand knitting to having 5 machines (2 set up now) with little experience except for Sue and KIN's teachings. Due to Oregon's fires, ill heath which left me disabled, moving to a new place, and couldn't set up my machines, I valued Sue so much I kept paying my subscription to KIN anyway.  I finally got 2 machines on the table and ready to get back to work.  TY Sue!! 
J G
Joy Green

1 year ago
Oh that's brilliant, look forward to seeing your 'makes' 😊
Joy
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago

Hi Jill!

OMG THANK  YOU - you made my day!

I'm glad you are doing better and getting back to knitting.

Please let me know how I can help.

Sue

T B
Tina Brauckmann

1 year ago
Hello Jill.
Nice to have you here. It is a huge step from handknitting (and circular knitting i suppose) to machine knitting. But you are in the right place. 
Helpful,  friendly and informative,  that is Sue and Mat,  and this whole community.
Here you can share your wins and ask for help,  glad to have you here.
Let us have fun with the machines. 
S M
Susan Moore

1 year ago
Oh, I hope you doing better now, and can enjoy your machines! 
J M
Janine Mahery

1 year ago
Hello from east tenn. 
I'm Janine I've owned Knitting machines in the past but sold them. I'm looking into purchasing a machine again, so thought I would join the club and learn from the start. I'm thinking about getting a standard KM. 
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago
HI Janine!
Welcome back to the world of machine knitting!
I'm curious ...
What machine(s) did you have in the past?  Brother or Singer/Silver?  Electronic or punchcard?

Whatever you decide for your new machine, I'm sure you'll have fun re-learning things and getting back into creating with a knitting machine.

We're here to help.

Sue
J B
Jane Bahnmiller

1 year ago
Hi everyone My name is Jane and I live in Medicine Hat Canada. I have been a hand knitter for years, mainly socks and mittens.  Two years ago I purchased a Bond Classic and spent many hours struggling with it.  I now own several types of knitting machine; I have packed them all away except for my LK 150.  I don’t have any grand plans; I want to make a few sweaters for myself and small projects for family and the community and feel accomplished.  My biggest challenge appears to be following directions but I am very patient and try and try again to get it right.  I’m beginning to wonder if it’s an age thing because I am in my 70’s.  I don’t know any machine knitters in my community.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago

Hi @Jane Bahnmiller  Welcome!
Being a hand knitter is a huge advantage when you are getting started with machine knitting.

Please don't feel alone, very few of us have other  knitters nearby.  You can always ask questions and share your wins here.
My goal here at Knit it Now is to help you understand what you are doing,  not just blindly follow instructions.

My first piece of advice is to read the pattern completely before even starting.  Make sure you understand the instructions and what you need to do ahead of time.

I hear too often ... "I've knit the entire back of my sweater, but I'm stuck on shaping the neck opening"  I want you to practice and understand the neck opening instructions BEFORE you get to that point.

There are lots of knitters here who were where you are now.  Here are some words of wisdom from other knitters.
https://www.knititnow.com/success/1402/Level-0/?id=7588

K F
Kelle Fecker

1 year ago
Hello from Wisconsin. I have been hand knitting for 35 plus years. I poorly dabbled in machine knitting many years back after neurological issues affected my hands. I have since recovered. 
I did pretty much what someone learning how to machine knitting  should not do. Didn’t practice the basics and bought more than one machine and tried to knit a sweater.  Then the machines got put away when we had to have family move in with us to help them out. I knew I would always get back to it so I continued to renew my knit it now membership (to make sure it was still there when I was ready) but unfortunately didn’t use it much. Good intentions but just not enough time and space. So glad this site is still here and still amazing.  Cant wait to use the knit it now patterns. And take part in some of the Knit alongs once I get the basics ingrained. 

So now I am re-organizing my craft space I’ve got my mid gauge set up and just getting a new sponge bar and getting everything cleaned and situated to start from scratch and learn the basics on one machine. And again I’ve renewed my knit it now membership, so I can get back on track. My plan is to do the beginners course and practice, practice, practice all the different basics and then basics of sweater knitting parts so that I can at some point make a cardigan and sweater on my mid gauge. I’m guessing maybe after a year or how ever long it takes me to feel comfortable with my mid gauge machine ….then I can go ahead and  try out my other machines (bulky and also a standard with G Carriage). So excited to restart this journey with enough space and after work and weekend time. 
What a great new year 2023 will be!!

S J
Sue Jalowiec

1 year ago

Hi Kelle!
Welcome back!
You are wise to focus on one machine.  You aren't the only one who has made the mistake of getting more than one machine and being overwhelmed.✋ (hand raised)
I'm planning a "newbie" challenge/knit-along ... stay tuned!

Happy Knitting!
Sue

K F
Kelle Fecker

1 year ago
Thanks Sue. 
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT