S J
Sue Jalowiec

5 years ago

Hi Alison!
You shouldn't have any problem doing this .. I know many knitters who ONLY use multiple strands for their knitting.

Most thread both strands together thru thru the tensioning disk.

Some folks will re-wind (or twist) the strands together before knitting.

The biggest thing to remember is to keep an eye on the yarn. If one strand breaks, it could be a disaster if you continue knitting with just a single strand.

This technique is also great for creating interesting mixed colors - here's an example. (I twisted the colors and felted the wool yarn)

https://www.knititnow.com/knit/project/50/color-block-pillow

Have fun!

P D
Phyllis K Day

5 years ago
Hi Alison. I'm one of those knitters that uses two or more strands together from time to time, which is great on my mid-gauge machine. The multiple strands that you put together will knit flatter if there are more than two, almost like ribbon yarn. The only problem I've had sometimes is that when I put more than two strands together in a skein/ball before going on the machine I sometimes didn't always put them together evenly, and it can be a mess. But when I want to mix 4 or 5, I have to do it beforehand. Or has anyone tried putting multiple strands (more than two cones on the floor) through the tensioning disk? I would think it would be time consuming to manager all those yarns at once.
M B
Mary Lynn Best

5 years ago
I’ve done three cones just on the floor and threaded up the machine.  Usually had to move the cones until all threads were knitting well.  Also had some wax that threads ran through.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

5 years ago
If you aren't familiar with waxing your yarn  ... here's a blog post on the subject

http://kin.knititnow.com/2017/08/16/knitting-machine-tip/

[wax] 
S S
Sharon Shattan

5 years ago
When I use 2 or more yarns on my machines, standard gauge,I take them separately from the cones or balls and run them through a straw before I get to the tension disc.  This seems to work well.  I tape the straw to the table the machine is attached to.  Whenever I try to ply the yarns, it is not as successful.  This idea is probably not original to me but I do not remember where I learned.  Hope this helps.  
S G
SANDEE GIMBLETT

5 years ago
Wow, Sharon, GREAT idea.  I must try this.  Thx
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC