S J
Sue Jalowiec

5 years ago
OH NO!  Don't quit!

"  I have got lots of machines and accessories. "  

IMHO this can be a problem ... too many toys!  LOL!  I always advocate that you put away all the toys but ONE and concentrate on that one .

QUESTION:  Why did you start knitting in the first place?  Did you meet that goal?  What ONE thing do you want to accomplish now?

You say you don't have time ... overwhelm can EAT time! (ask me how I know)

Check out the post by "Busy Mom - Sarah" if she can make time for something she loves ... we call can make time!

S G
SANDEE GIMBLETT

5 years ago
I didn't machine knit for 8 years because I was always too tired from working.  I just semi-retired this year and got right back into my machine knitting and am having so much fun that I rue my 8 lost years.  I don't want you to be sorry later, either.  Here is a tip I read in a magazine:  Get a simple project going and work on it for at least 15 minutes  per day.  That way you won't forget what you know and have to re-learn everything like I did.  Plus, once you get your 15 minutes in, you may just find yourself going for 1/2 hour, or maybe an hour.  Another tip I once read was to start your day (even if it's only a weekend day) with your 15 minutes of knitting so that you have the satisfaction of having gotten it in for the day.  Your other work for the day will undoubtedly get done (because it has to), but you'll have your knitting done, too.  This should make you feel better.
P L
Phyllis Lambert

5 years ago
Great suggestion, Sandee.
I'd like to know why I remember how to ride a bike, play the piano, edit photos, or thread up a serger even if I've had a long hiatus.
BUT if I go away from The Knitting Machine for even a short time, I hardly remember how to cast on.
I've learned to set aside at least ten minutes/day to "visit" the machine. Even if all I do is a bit of oiling or shift the sponge bar's position.
C B
Carol Brown-Silva

5 years ago
I have several different machines and each one has its' own little quirks. I set up 4x6 "cue cards" to remind me how to do things on that machine. I found the act of making the cue cards actually seemed to set the procedures in my mind.
K C
KATE CLARK

5 years ago
I find that keeping to a small, simple project is most rewarding when you don't have a lot of time. For instance, last xmas I purchased handmade soap at a local shop and made machine knit wash clothes to wrap them in with a ribbon to give as gifts. People loved them and I matched the yarn to the colors in each bar of soap. I bought skeins of 100% cotton at the local craft shop and they were inexpensive, so I had lots of colors.  I made a basic one first, then spent time figuring out how to keep the edges from rolling and spend time playing with edgings. The cloths were so small it wasn't a bother to rip out and try again until I got what I wanted. Then I tried different stitch patterns, tuck and thread lace and I did a hand manipulated heart motif. Each one built on the skills I learned doing the previous one and it was quick and fun to watch them pile up! I learned a lot doing them. To kill the dreaded edge roll I found that doing a crochet cast on with multiple strands of yarn and knitting a few rows with the right side up was quick and easy and looked really nice. I even practiced flipping the cloths to have garter stitch edges and learned how to use the garter bar.  Anyway, don't quit! Keep it simple and just enjoy the process.
J B
Jessica Borchert

5 years ago
Don't give in too fast. Take the most simple machine you have and start there. If you have a hobby plastic machine, use that to learn and train the basics until you feel completely secure. You can make fast and simple project like cute shawls with variegated yarn or hats or scarfs very quickly, so you'll have a fast reward.
Once you feel completey at ease there, you can start in on your Silver Reed with all the bells and whistles and you won't need to spend much time on remembering basics, but can concentrate on the great possibilities that machine offers.
P D
Phyllis K Day

5 years ago
Let the process work for you, don't let it work you. Enjoy the videos. Just watching can  be very relaxing. You don't have to do anything just yet. For example, I watched the same few videos over and over before I purchased a (used) double bed machine. Then slowly when I felt like it, I began following the video. As another member said, get out your easiest machine (probably mid-gauge or bulky) and start there, looking it over and getting familiar with the parts. Then when you are ready, start imitating the videos and be prepared to pause many times. I don't know about anyone else, but when I want to relax, I crank up a few knitting videos or the replays of the live events. This way I enjoy all sorts of knitting activities. But my mind is in learning mode - and yours will be too - with very little effort.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC