j d
josephine donohoe

4 years ago
Are there lessons about blocking other than the one on wet blocking?
I have just completed the back of my first sweater..it all worked out fine except that it is a big on the big side...is there anything that blocking can do to make it a little bit smaller. or do I just gift the sweater to a bigger person???
Josephine
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
Hi Josephine,
I'm sorry, I just realized there isn't any other material on blocking ..

What yarn/fiber did you use for your sweater?  What have you done so far for blocking?

Sue
j d
josephine donohoe

4 years ago
hi,
I have not done anything yet with that piece but I have done blocking previously...mostly on crochet squares.
My yarn is 4 ply 50% wool, 25% polyamide and 25% viscose.
Thanks for any tips/help you can offer.  
Even if it is big and sloppy it WiILL be worn as the first exhibit!!
Everything that I have knit so far has been on the big side so I am going to have to curtail  that somehow before i go on to more ambitious projects  
Josephine
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
Hmmm... sounds like a little refresher in measuring your swatch and establishing your gauge is in order.

Do you still have your swatch?  If you'd like, take a photo with rulers.

Another thought ... if everything is coming out too big, maybe it's not the gauge, but your size choice.  I recommend measuring a sweater you like and determining the finished dimensions of your project based on that.
S G
SANDEE GIMBLETT

4 years ago
Josephine,
Because it's got wool content, you could actually "shrink" it down in size a bit in the washing machine.  It will felt down some.
Sandee in Auburn, Washington State, USA
j d
josephine donohoe

4 years ago
Thank you for the thoughts. 
I did swatch carefully but I do have difficulty with this., I measure to the nearest full stitch or row and perhaps I need to be more precise than this..,,,this is in fact pointed out in one the KIN lessons.
I will finish this sweater as is and use the learning experience!  It is for my daughter who likes sloppy clothes anyway.
I am going to the Knitting and Stitching show tomorrow in Dublin so will look for a ruler with more precise measurements on it.
Josephine
J B
Jenny M Benson

4 years ago
From what you say about measuring "to the nearest full stitch or row" it sounds as though you are using a normal inch or centimetre ruler and trying to count how many stitches or rows to a set width or length.  I think you would find it much more accurate and easier to use one of the coloured rulers designed for measuring Gauge Swatches.   These were originally always known as a "Green Ruler" but there are now Green Rulers, Yellow Rulers and Blue Rulers which are specific to Standard Gauge, Mid Gauge and Bulky machine swatches. 

Jenny
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
We've done quite a few videos about swatching check out the classroom Swatching is not Optional

There's an entire course on the subject as well that is free for subscribers

No matter what ruler you use, the key is NOT COUNTING stitches and rows. 

Establish a square in the middle of the swatch of a pre-defined stitch and row count. 

No partial stitches, No counting needed no guessing ... accurate (and fewer mistakes.)

[measure_rows]  [measure_stitches]
j d
josephine donohoe

4 years ago

ahh....I am only just getting that message now although I did the tutorials in the beginners course but somehow received the message backwards.
I used row and stitch markers but still tried to count ......silly me. that solves my problem I imagine. Thank you 
JD
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
Great!  No counting allowed ðŸ˜„
R B
Richard Brown

4 years ago
[QUOTE username=Josephine Donohoe  Josephine Donohoe userid=6954781 postid=1310037958]
ahh....I am only just getting that message now although I did the tutorials in the beginners course but somehow received the message backwards.
I used row and stitch markers but still tried to count ......silly me. that solves my problem I imagine. Thank you 
JD[/QUOTE]

Hi Josephine - don’t feel silly about the swatching and counting, due to so much different swatching advice and variations on technique, it’s easy to get confused and even bewildered. The simplest method by far is the method taught on Knit-It-Now. But whichever method you use, the most important thing is to be consistent. Accurate and consistent swatching really is the key to even the most basic knitting project’s success.
This includes making sure to handle the knitted swatch, give it a pull in different directions, and most importantly - leave it to rest for at least a few hours before measuring. If it’s a yarn with which you’re not familiar, I’d recommend blocking before measuring too. Some people always block, some don’t. I don’t always bother if it’s a yarn I’m very familiar with how it behaves when washed, dried and worn. The important thing is to be consistent. Also, there’s a great video on KIN under swatching that highlights the importance of taking fabric weight and the effects of gravity into account... really recommend watching it, especially if using cottons/cotton blends or making very open knit fabrics such as lace.

Best wishes and happy knitting!

Richard
j d
josephine donohoe

4 years ago
Happy New Year everyone,
I have now mastered swatching and do it all the time except when I knitted a hat with mixed materials and it was too tight. Lesson learned for sure. 
I also wash my swatches and measure up before I start.
Great advice
Thanks everyone.
J
D K
Dayana Knits

4 years ago
Yay, glad you've found success! Just a note about wet blocking. If I am blocking flat pieces, I prefer not to soak beforehand as it's easy to stretch the piece to 'unnatural' dimensions. Instead, I pin out to desired dimensions dry and then spray to soak. If I'd like to 'wash' it at the same time I'll add some no-rinse soak to the spray bottle.

Exceptions: Lace -- you want to stretch it out as much as you can, preferably on blocking wires.
                    Circular knits -- it's impossible to soak the bottom layer well enough.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC