A S
Anita Swift

4 years ago
HI
I am knitting for my 6-yr-old grandson using the Snowcaps Pullover pattern. I chose Size 6. I have just finished the back and it looks long enough for him to wear as a dress!!
My garment measures the same as what the pattern says it should, but it looks way too long for a 6-yr-old. When I Google, measurements for a size 6 children's sweater are in the order of 40-42cm for length, whereas the Snowcaps Pullover size 6 gives me a back length of 50.5cm without the band.
I am wondering whether Child Size 6 in Knit It Now means something other than "this will fit a 6-yr-old child."
I live in Australia, in case that has anything to do with it. Here Size 6 in children's clothing means it's for a 6-yr-old child.
Thanks 🙂
Oh, and when I compare my Googled measurements with the Snowcaps Pullover measurements, the chest width is way off too.
A S
Anita Swift

4 years ago
Thanks Sally, yes I learned this the hard way. Next time I will actually measure my grandson. The trouble is he lives interstate so it's not that easy to do. Thanks for clarifying that the numbers don't represent ages. That's good to know. I wonder what they do represent then?
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
Hi Anita,
Any time you use any pattern, it's best to check the finished dimensions before starting to knit.

Here is the chart we use for sizing

Maybe the problem is that we used numbers for the different size groups.  These don't represent ages ... 
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
Actually it was Sue who responded ... my mistake ... Anyways, I understand that you don't always have the measurements.  Have you found a reference to sizes based on age?   We can always include it with our sizing chart and link to it in our patterns.

[QUOTE username=Anita Swift  Anita Swift userid=6385739 postid=1310049437]Thanks Sally, yes I learned this the hard way. Next time I will actually measure my grandson. The trouble is he lives interstate so it's not that easy to do. Thanks for clarifying that the numbers don't represent ages. That's good to know. I wonder what they do represent then?[/QUOTE]
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC