d p
delia pena

3 years ago
I would like to no about wool and cotton yarn. What kind of projects can you knit with it. Does cotton shrink and wool. I want to buy cone yarn. Not to pay a lot. when you look into cone it does not let you no what size yarn. Can any one tell me anything. I am still learning about all yarns. what brand to use in different projects. There are a lot of yarn out there don't no what is good or not.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
Hi Delia,
Apart from learning the mechanics of our machines, learning about yarn is the next most difficult thing for machine knitters.

I don't know about where you live, but finding a good selection of coned yarn is difficult in the US. Remember you don't have to use coned yarn on your  machine.  As long is the yarn is the appropriate weight for your machine and it is put up in a way that will feed easily, you can use any fibers.

We have a classroom on yarn that may help
https://www.knititnow.com/classrooms/41/yarn-for-knitting-machines

Here's a video that may also help
https://www.knititnow.com/LiveEvent/69/myth-busting-yarn-for-knitting-machines-10-30-2018

The bottom line ... with experience, you will find the weight and fiber that you like and suit your style of knitting.

RE cotton / wool
Yes, cotton will shrink - that's why it's CRITICAL that you dress your swatch. (Treat it as you will treat the finished sweater).  Cotton can be problematic for new knitters because it doesn't stretch, making it more difficult to hand manipulate stitches.  Not imposible, but it's best to use another fiber until you get more comfortable with your machine.

You also need to dress wool ... you may not be putting it in the washing machine, but you still want to know how it is going to launder and "bloom".

One last thing ... please do yourself a favor ... once you find a yarn you like, use it again and again while you are building your experience and confidence with your machine.  Jumping from yarn to yarn as you are learning is a recipe for frustration (and grey hair) ðŸ˜„

KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC