C Q
Cynthia Quill

2 years ago

I read an Introduce yourself that mentioned this. I also am experiencing this myself. I just finished a sweater had that issue.

I followed the short rowing. I tightened a few end stitches on the last row. That seems to be where the issues are. I scrapped off. 

I re-hung the stitches for the collar or neckline. Those stitches at the ends of the sections for short rowing are larger than the other stitches. They loosened up again. I used weights.

I have this sweater photo in my other post, but here is a cropped front photo, you can notice holes at the neckline, No stitches are missing. Everything matched up when I rehung and I had the exact number of stitches required. The 6 stitches between the front and, I believe, shoulder were evenly spaced. I made sure of this. 

3C1BAA87-F7C0-4199-8111-E0E568F49597.jpeg

It actually looks better in the photo. The actual sweater looks sloppy. Plus, I fiddled and grabbed som stitches to tighten them up, where I could when sewing it together.

What causes this, and how can it be prevented?

Thanks

J G
Joy Green

2 years ago
If you do a neckband where it is stitched down on the 'right side', you can cover the 'holes' nicely.
I know it isn't the best way, but it's a different option...
Joy 😊
J B
Jenny M Benson

2 years ago
I can't tell from the photo, but are you "wrapping" when doing the short-rowing?    In case you don't know what I mean, I will describe it exactly.

Knitting on needles L50 - R50.Carriage is on the right.  You bring needles L50-L45 to Hold position.  Carriage set to Hold you knit across from right to left.  Hook the yarn (which is between needle L44 and the carriage)  under needle L45 so it is between needles L45 and L46 and lying over the needles to the carriage.   Knit from left to right.  You will know put more needles on the left to Hold and again, after you knit across, wrap the yarn under the end HP needle.  You will see that you now have 2 loops on some of the neckline needles.  It is a good idea to knit across all the needles (1 row)  before scrapping off, so that when you pick up stitches for the neckband you are picking up just one stitch (loop) each time.

Joy mentions stitching the neckband down on the right side and there are various ways of doing this and it does make a neat join and conceals any flaws.  My method is to pick up the neckline stitches and knit 2 rows.  Transfer to ribber and knit enough rows for a double band (or knit the required rows and reform the stitches for rib AFTER THE FIRST 2 ROWS.)  If using ribber, put ribber stitches back on main bed.  Pick up the stitches from the 2nd row and place on the corresponding needles and knit about 4 rows.  Scrap off.  You now have a little flap which you sew down by backstitching in the loops of the  last row in main yarn.  

This is something you might want to try our when you are a little more experienced, Cynthia, but the wrapping of the needles during short-rowing is very important. demo.jpg 
Jenny
J G
Joy Green

2 years ago
Yes Jenny, the photo is how I do my neck bands 😊
Joy
C Q
Cynthia Quill

2 years ago
I am wrapping, kwk. I am using a Silver Reed LK150 - ribber is not an option. 
J G
Joy Green

2 years ago
(KWK?) 🤔
C Q
Cynthia Quill

2 years ago
Knit Wrap Knit. That term was used in the. Craftsy class. Put needles in hold, KNIT, Wrap the needle by the first needle in WP, Knit, KWK. I thought it was a general term, I guess just used by that particular Craftsy instructor. Sorry.
J G
Joy Green

2 years ago
�
S J
Sue Jalowiec

2 years ago

Cynthia,
The secret to necklines is practice ... I hope you'll join the february Knit-along and practice necklines before starting another sweater.
You will discover the methods YOU like, and what works for YOU.

Jenny and Joy have give you excellent advice. But they didn't discover this with their first, (2nd or 3rd) attempt.

Another suggestion is cut 'n sew - ðŸ˜Š

https://www.knititnow.com/knitclub/99/Knitalong/round-neck-shaping-practice

J G
Joy Green

2 years ago
Cut and sew is a good idea, but probably not for a newbie knitter...?
I would suggest practicing a folded over 'sewn down on the outside' neckband first 😊
Joy
J G
Joy Green

2 years ago
It probably took me nearly a year to get neckband looking perfect when I first started in the 80s... But a local elderly lady used to run a knitting club in her house once a week and I learned a lot from her.
I also used to go to a weekly club in the big yarn shop where I bought my first machine, with a friend.. .
C Q
Cynthia Quill

2 years ago
Oh, it is February! I was waiting for this Knit-A-Long. Yes, I am doing it. Never did a Knit-A-Long before. I will be using my better quality yarn for this so I ca get the best results that I can. I will just use mynleastbfavorite color, �.

I will start the challenge today or tomorrow, depending on my knee. Used it a lot this morning, so I might not be able to sit long enough to be able to stop at a logical place, and be able to restart easily. I want to be clear of mind and not bothered by the knee wanting to get up and walk. I was looking forward to this. 

Oh, I can watch all the videos and read all the info, and print what I want printed to prepare. �

Thank you all. I feel so much more confident and encouraged. Funny how forum responses do that. 
C Q
Cynthia Quill

2 years ago
Oops, just saw it starts Feb 14 or around there. LOL
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC