K M
Kristy Meyer

2 years ago
Hi, my name is Kristy and I am a beginner knitter.  I recently purchased an LK 150 machine as an introduction to this new hobby.  My desire is to learn to knit nice sweaters that don't scream "homemade" when I wear them.  I have been practicing round necklines using the short rowing method and I am please with most of my results. However, I do have some recurring issues that I do not know how to fix. The pattern I have been practicing on is the peppercorn pullover for small child.  

I knit up to the point of neckband shaping.  I divide the neckband into sections (Left and Right shoulders and center stitches) and I scrap off each of these sections.  Then I rehang the live stitches and follow the pattern using short rows for the shaping. Shaping the neckline is not a problem.  However, I seem to have an issue with knitting the last row just before scrapping off to get rid of the wrapped stitches.  This row is not part of my main knitting section, but a new row. The wrapped stitches are smoothed out, but now I have one row of stitches that has new ends to weave in and I loose end stitches.  

These loose stitches cause me problems when I try to knit an attached neckband. I sew one shoulder seam together and rehang the neckline stitches. There are some really loose stitches on either side of the  shoulder seam that I don't know how to work. Anyway, I will continue experimenting to rectify this problem, but any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
T B
Tina Brauckmann

2 years ago
What about to tighten up the edges and sew inn the loose threads that affect the loose stitches before hanging the piece for the neckband? Hope that helps.
By the way,  your choice of yarn (slippery yarn) may influence the problem. 
S J
Sue Jalowiec

2 years ago
Hi Kristy!
I always say necklines and neckbands are an art.  It a matter of practice and finding the method that works best for you.

It can be intimidating to shape a necking on a sweater you plan to wear.  Please take time to practice necklines on some samples.

We have a practice pattern that you can use - choose V or round neck, with our without shoulder shaping.

https://www.knititnow.com/knit/DynamicPattern/679/practice-necklines

Have you explored the neckline shaping course?

https://www.knititnow.com/challenge/21/course/neckline-shaping-practice

C Q
Cynthia Quill

2 years ago
Hi, Kristy! 

I have a new LK150, also, and am in the learning stage. This site is a wonderful place to learn. 

I took Sue's advice and did a number of neckline shapings, short rowing, etc before attempting the toddler sweater I am currently working on. 

Make sure to take advantage of this wonderful forum and ask for help. It is great. 
K M
Kristy Meyer

2 years ago
I appreciate all the responses. I will definitely try Bettina's suggestion and try tightening up the stitches before hanging the neckband.  
K M
Kristy Meyer

2 years ago
Sue, thanks for responding.  I have practiced shaping round necklines many times and am pleased to announce that I have gotten pretty good at short rowing and wrapping stitches to prevent holes.  My mistake was thinking that shaping the neckline was the hard part and adding the band would be a simple.  I will continue to try different techniques to prevent loose stitches on that last row and attaching the neckband.  Just this week, I successfully knitted my first adult sweater and my neckline looks great! However, I did remove the sweater from the machine and hand-knitted a ribbed neckline. ðŸ˜œ Thanks for all the advice and tutorials on the website.  I will continue to practice.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC